YDKF Episode 189: Joysticks

RSS feed links to blog posts, podcasts, and more. This is the only forum visible to non-registered guests. Includes posts from RobOHara.com, Podcast.RobOHara.com, and BigRobsVan.com.
m00npie

YDKF Episode 189: Joysticks

Post by m00npie »

Title: YDKF Episode 189: Joysticks
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2020 18:05:04 +0000
Link: http://podcast.robohara.com/ydkf-episode-189-joysticks/

Description: If you’ve ever wanted to hear a grown man talk about joysticks for over an hour, boy are you in luck! From old Atari joysticks […]
obliterator918

Re: YDKF Episode 189: Joysticks

Post by obliterator918 »

Regarding emulation/simulation/etc for FPGA. I think a good term is IMPLEMENTATION. They're making hardware that implements a specification, not software that emulates it. Not that this name matters much. :-)

And about arcades and COVID. Before this stuff started we were planning a trip to Arcadia. We still haven't gone. But, in a facebook post announcing their re-opening someone started a fundraiser. It's over now and I can't find the link, but we donated as if we had gone a few times. I think they raised over $15,000. So that is an option I hope people will consider for supporting arcades they visit.
k8track

Post by k8track »

Looking forward to listening to this one ASAP! Do you discuss only joysticks specifically, or are you using that as a catch-all term for video game controllers in general? If the latter, I hope you mentioned the U-Force controller, the theremin of the controller scene. And the Power Glove, it's so bad.

If I recall correctly, we both share a love for the Epyx 500XJ controller, right? I've got three different varieties: Atari 2600 (and compatibles); NES; and my fave, the Sega Master System one, which works beautifully with my Redemption 5200 adapter.

A joystick I always wanted (but probably will never get now) is the Beeshu Jazz Stick for the NES, that rarest of unicorns: a right-handed joystick controller. I could never, ever use a joystick with my left hand (I was raised on a right-handed 2600 stick) and I always sucked terribly at arcade games like Donkey Kong because of it (I try to use the cross-handed method but it's really awkward).
k8track

Post by k8track »

Just finished listening to this one today! Did you get some feedback? You did indeed talk at length about the awesomeness of the Epyx 500XJ. Also, I'm glad you talked about all kinds of video game controllers as opposed to the smaller subset of just joysticks.

My very favorite controller of all time is the Bally Astrocade controller. It's just the perfect controller. It fits perfectly in either hand, has a pistol style grip with trigger button, and is a joystick and paddle controller in one. Awesome.

In no particular order, I also love:

• Epyx 500 XJ (any system)
• Namco neGcon (for original Playstation): A completely unique "twist" style controller that works very well with racing games. Here is a list of games that work with it: http://brittens.org/NegCon.html
• Edladdin Supreme 78: All-Play 4/8: Homemade arcade style controller that can be switched to work as a 4-way or an 8-way joystick. https://edladdin.com/Supreme-78-All-Play-4-8-ec-1-003.htm
• Coleco Super Action controller
• The Boss joystick by WICO (my fave as a kid)
• driving controllers for Indy 500
• Atari CX22 trackball (super amazing with the trackball hacks at Atariage)
• original Atari Jaguar controller (believe it or not)

As far as modern-style game pads go, I really love the Barracuda 2 for the original Playstation and the Xbox controller-S (the second and smaller controller for the original Xbox).

My least favorite controllers are the TI-99 4/A joysticks. Stiff and horrible.