Sprite Castle 041: Dig Dug

RSS feed links to blog posts, podcasts, and more. This is the only forum visible to non-registered guests. Includes posts from RobOHara.com, Podcast.RobOHara.com, and BigRobsVan.com.
m00npie

Sprite Castle 041: Dig Dug

Post by m00npie »

Title: Sprite Castle 041: Dig Dug
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2020 05:05:28 +0000
Link: http://podcast.robohara.com/sprite-castle-041-dig-dug/

Description: Can you dig it? On this episode of Sprite Castle, we’ll be getting down and dirty with this classic release from Atarisoft, DIG DIG. iTunes […]
k8track

Re: Sprite Castle 041: Dig Dug

Post by k8track »

Hey, just listened to this a few days ago, another great episode! Thanks for all you do!

There was one piece of information that I wanted to comment on. You mentioned that Mr. Driller was Dig Dug (a.k.a. Taizo Hori)'s father. It is actually the reverse; Taizo Hori and his (now divorced) wife, Toby "Kissy" Masuyo (the protagonist of Baraduke; remember that gem from Namco Museum Vol. 5 for the PSX?) have three children, one of whom, Susumu, is Mr. Driller.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baraduke

Who knew that Dig Dug had such a rich backstory?

And Baraduke has one of the coolest ending/victory themes ever: https://youtu.be/moPQ4hoJuMo?t=214

Also, I never really played Dig Dug II all that much, but it always looked fun.
obliterator918

Post by obliterator918 »

In this one you talk about using something other than a real C64. I've not seen the Pi solution you are talking about, but after using my Ultimate 64 for a while, I can say that I expect to use the U64 almost exclusively from now on. Finally, with the U64, there is a way to get HDMI that is absolutely perfect -- the exact framerate of the original -- not something that is interpolated like with VICE on a PC. I don't know what the Pi thing you are using does, but even "TheC64" isn't exactly correct (the framerate is just a tad off the clock rate of a real C64). And, the built in 1541 Ultimate plus all of the gazillion additional features like network support (it has a modem layer now), and other stuff... I think I am there. I will be doing some more experimentation and comparison with my CRT. I think I can finally live with this and put the CRT away.
Flack
Site Admin

Post by Flack »

As far as I can tell, the whole purpose of the BMC64 project is to get perfect scrolling and frame rates in both PAL and NTSC video modes. I agree that TheC64 isn't 100% accurate. I can only assume that once I get my Ultimate all wired up and ready to go, all these other solutions will become moot. Over all I do like the BMC64 for it's low cost of entry (price of a Pi) and it feels more authentic than Vice a PC (if for no other reason than it's physically on a separate desk and I have to get up and move to use it) but I can't imagine anything being better than the Ultimate. Also, the BMC64 does not support networking, which makes it good for gaming but not as a perfect solution.

The BMC64
Flack
www.robohara.com | www.facebook.com/robohara | www.twitter.com/Commodork