BigRobsVan: Worrying About the Weather

RSS feed links to blog posts, podcasts, and more. This is the only forum visible to non-registered guests. Includes posts from RobOHara.com, Podcast.RobOHara.com, and BigRobsVan.com.
m00npie

BigRobsVan: Worrying About the Weather

Post by m00npie »

The older I get, the pickier I get about the weather. When I was a kid, I don’t think the weather affected me at all, and I certainly don’t remember factoring it into my plans. I don’t remember 80 degree days being any different than 100 degree days. It’s possible I recognized some days were […] The post Worrying About the Weather appeared first on BigRobsVan.

Source: https://bigrobsvan.com/2023/10/13/worry ... e-weather/
AArdvark

Re: BigRobsVan: Worrying About the Weather

Post by AArdvark »

Yep! Even mowing the lawn has temperature parameters any more. Too cold or too hot? It can wait a week.

Every year I have a contest with myself to see how long I can hold out until the furnace gets turned on. Every year it gets turned on earlier.
Flack
Site Admin

Post by Flack »

My dad does the same thing with his air conditioning. He waits to see how late in the year he can make it without turning it on. He usually throws in the towel around the beginning of June, when he can no longer keep the house comfortable with shade and fans.

We turn ours on around March.
Flack
www.robohara.com | www.facebook.com/robohara | www.twitter.com/Commodork
obliterator918

Post by obliterator918 »

My thermostats are programmable. They are set to keep the temperature at a minimum of 67 and a maximum of 73. There are days here in Oklahoma where the furnace will be running in the morning and the air conditioner will be running in the late afternoon. The only down-side to this is the first time the furnace comes on, you aren't really expecting it, and there's that "burned carpet" smell that might scare somebody for a minute.

73 is actually a high setting based on my completely unscientific polling of a handful of friends and neighbors. There are people here who keep their homes at a steady 69.

I was talking with my brother who lives in California. He said he pays a lot of money to keep his house at a "chilly" setting of 78. Seventy-eight. I am so glad I do not live in that state any more.
Flack
Site Admin

Post by Flack »

One of the unsung benefits of working from home is working in a comfortable climate. Since the beginning of the pandemic, I think they've been setting the temperature in our building at 74 or 75 degrees, and they don't turn the air on until 7am or so and it turns off at 4pm. I don't like feeling like the old man at work and when I would go in I had fans in my cube blowing on me because it was uncomfortably warm. Don't have that problem at my house.
Flack
www.robohara.com | www.facebook.com/robohara | www.twitter.com/Commodork