BLOG: Getting Our Kicks at Ken’s Pizza on Route 66

RSS feed links to blog posts, podcasts, and more. This is the only forum visible to non-registered guests. Includes posts from RobOHara.com, Podcast.RobOHara.com, and BigRobsVan.com.
m00npie

BLOG: Getting Our Kicks at Ken’s Pizza on Route 66

Post by m00npie »

Susan and I were off work for Veterans Day, and so on Friday Susan planned a day trip for the two of us up Route 66 from Oklahoma City to Tulsa. Route 66 is a road full of nostalgia, and nothing on Friday was more nostalgic for me than our visit to Ken’s Pizza in Chandler, Oklahoma for lunch. When Susan and I were in high school we had an open campus for lunch. At twelve minutes past 11 (our lunch period was from 11:12-12:02 for some confusing reason), approximately 700 juniors and seniors poured out of our school and into their cars, speeding out of the parking lot in search of food. One of my favorite spots, perhaps the mecca of lunch destinations, was Ken’s Pizza — more specifically, Ken Pizza’s lunch buffet. In 1961, Ken Selby opened his first restaurant, The Pizza Parlor, in Tulsa. Four years later in 1965, Ken opened a second pizza restaurant which he named after himself. The following year Ken began selling Ken’s Pizza franchises, and in the 1970s there were more than 200 locations. One of Ken’s regrets was that the chain didn’t have an Italian-sounding name and so in 1979 Ken opened another chain of restaurant which he intended to call Maggio’s. When he discovered Maggio’s was taken, an employee recommended he change the g’s to z’s (as in pizza), and thus was born Mazzio’s. By the late-80s, most Ken’s restaurants had already been converted to Mazzio’s locations, which means the Ken’s Pizza in Yukon we ate at in high school in the late 80s/early 90s was one of a dying breed, even back then. The pizza at Ken’s was pretty unique. All the pizza on the buffet was thin crust with a zingy sauce, and most of them (save for the rare combo pizza) only had a single topping. Next to the pizzas were metal bins of breadsticks, spaghetti, and maybe another pasta or something. It wasn’t authentic Italian pizza and it wasn’t intended to be, but it was cheap. I think the buffet cost $2.99, and adding a salad bar might have cost extra (I don’t remember if a drink was included in the lunch buffet price or not). My favorite thing to do at Ken’s was to get a slice of pizza, push some spaghetti on top of it, and eat them both that way. Yum! As of 2022, three Ken’s Pizza locations remain open in Chandler, Prague, and Sapulpa. (The one that briefly opened in Edmond a few years ago has since closed.) Our trip up Route 66 led us right past the one in Chandler, which is where we had lunch. Image Image Although we had never visited this specific location before, the entire experience evoked many memories. From the original logo on the side of the building to almost every detail inside of the restaurant, the Ken’s Pizza in Chandler felt like a restaurant frozen in time. (The only thing missing were the two or three arcade games I remember ours having.) The walls, tables, and even the drinking glasses looked just like they did back in the 80s. The pizza on the buffet looked (and tasted) just like Ken’s Pizza, and while that might sound like a funny thing to say, we’re talking about pizza I haven’t tasted in three decades. That’s a lot of time for any number of variables to change including recipes and sauce spices. Several years ago, The taste of Pizza Hut’s pizzas changed dramatically when they upgraded their original ovens to newer, faster models, so sometimes even a small change can affect the product. Mazzio’s serves a “Ken’s-style Pizza” that looks like an old Ken’s Pizza more than it tastes like one. The pizza we had over the weekend tasted exactly how I remember Ken’s pizza tasting… and you can bet I piled a bunch of spaghetti on top of my thin crust pizza before digging in! Image My grandma always kept a bowl of Brach’s mixed hard candies in a dish on top of her console television. There were butterscotch and peppermint and fiery-hot candies along with little barrel-shaped ones that tasted like root beer. Around the time she passed away I went searching for those candies and bought a bag of them. They aren’t the best candy in the world and to be honest they aren’t my favorite, but at that time I was missing them, and her, and while that bag lasted they were delicious. Sometimes when you’re facing an empty nest and not aging particularly gracefully, the pizza from your youth — even Ken’s buffet pizza — really hits the spot. Image Back when I was driving my old Mustang down Route 66 through Yukon on my way to Ken’s Pizza in an attempt to beat the lunch rush, our waitress — who was thirty years old — wasn’t even born. She seemed shocked that anyone would go out of their way to visit the Ken’s Pizza in Chandler. I, on the other hand, was shocked to learn the price of the buffet had risen from $2.99 to $9.99. I don’t know when or if we’ll revisit Ken’s Pizza. The pizza is more nostalgic than good — and hey, sometimes nostalgia’s an itch that needs to be scratched, but those scratches often last for a long time. Everything during our visit was good as it could be and as good as it ever was. Sometimes you don’t need to revisit a place that reminds you of the past. Sometimes, just knowing it’s still there is enough. (Some of the information I found about Ken came from here and here.) Image Similar Posts:

Source: https://www.robohara.com/?p=13934