PODCAST: YDKF Episode 211: Documentaries, Part 2

RSS feed links to blog posts, podcasts, and more. This is the only forum visible to non-registered guests. Includes posts from RobOHara.com, Podcast.RobOHara.com, and BigRobsVan.com.
m00npie

PODCAST: YDKF Episode 211: Documentaries, Part 2

Post by m00npie »

On the second part of my three part series, I list and briefly discuss my favorite music-related documentaries. Brace yourself, there are a lot of […]

Source: https://podcast.robohara.com/ydkf-episode-211-documentaries-part-2/
AArdvark

Re: PODCAST: YDKF Episode 211: Documentaries, Part 2

Post by AArdvark »

Just started listening to this and was surprised to hear Death has a documentary. Didn't think anyone even knew about that band. A guy I work with loves music documentaries and will be delighted to hear this.

THE
FREAKING OUT
AARDVARK
fergojisan

Post by fergojisan »

I remember hearing about A Band Called Death on Smodcast, Scott Mosier produced that if I'm not mistaken. Another great music documentary is Standing in the Shadows of Motown, I don't remember if Rob mentioned that. I'm surprised you watched all of Get Back Rob, but I'm glad you enjoyed it. Whenever Apple puts out Beatles stuff, they usually try to think of the casual fan. This doc was definitely for us lifers for a change, and I loved it so much.
Flack
Site Admin

Post by Flack »

Ah man, I grew up on the Beatles! I'm somewhere between a casual and a die-hard fan. I talk a lot about listening to Queen, Blondie, and several other albums from my parents' record collection, but I listening to lots of Abbey Road, Sgt. Pepper, and the White Album, too. I think I still have some of them on vinyl, and definitely paid for a bunch of them on CD. My dad and I spent about half an hour this morning discussing Get Back. He watched and liked it, too.

I don't remember where I heard about A Band Called Death but it was a great film. I have not seen that Motown one yet but will track it down.

When I was younger I used to make "top 10" lists of my favorite bands, films, songs, etc. I eventually found restricting myself to 10 things too limiting, and so I started making "top 100" lists. The issue with that is once you get past 10 or so, it just becomes an unsorted list of "things I like." That's kind of what this episode turned out to be. I couldn't limit things down to just ten and so I just started tossing in more and more that I liked.

One I regret leaving off the show was "Give the Drummer Some", which is a documentary about "Clyde Stubblefield" (James Brown's drummer). His beat from Funky Drummer is one of the most sample drum tracks in history and yet the guy is completely broke because of how the music system works. It was really eye opening and had a lot of great music, too.
Flack
www.robohara.com | www.facebook.com/robohara | www.twitter.com/Commodork