YDKF Episode 192: In-Tune Magazine

RSS feed links to blog posts, podcasts, and more. This is the only forum visible to non-registered guests. Includes posts from RobOHara.com, Podcast.RobOHara.com, and BigRobsVan.com.
m00npie

YDKF Episode 192: In-Tune Magazine

Post by m00npie »

Title: YDKF Episode 192: In-Tune Magazine
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2020 06:01:42 +0000
Link: http://podcast.robohara.com/ydkf-episode-192-in-tune-magazine/

Description: My wife Susan joins me on this very special episode of You Don’t Know Flack. After sharing more bicycle stories, the two of us tell […]
AArdvark

Re: YDKF Episode 192: In-Tune Magazine

Post by AArdvark »

Best Episode Ever!

You can hear how much fun you two are having going down that particular memory lane. I bet you could do a six hour show and not run out of interesting stuff to talk about.

THE
ALL EARS
AARDVARK
k8track

Post by k8track »

I finally just listened to this episode today. I’d fallen behind in my podcasts and have been listening to get caught back up. I really enjoyed this episode. It resonated with me, because I had a somewhat similar experience once. Back in college, I was the editor of our university newspaper’s biweekly arts & entertainment section, from December 1994 to May 1995. It was called CLUE Magazine. I had complete creative control over its content. We were extremely fortunate that we didn’t have to print any advertisements! All of those went in the rest of the paper, so I was very lucky. I could do 8 or 12 pages, and put whatever I wanted on them. I designed, laid out, and wrote most of it myself. It was the best job I ever had in my life (I got paid!!), and I’d never had such freedom before or since.

In November 1994, I went to see an ABBA cover band called Björn Again, from Australia. They were internationally famous, at least amongst hardcore ABBA fans. Their schtick was that they were both a parody of and homage toward ABBA, dressing like them and adopting thick, outrageous accents and personas. They performed all of their songs very well and would have funny banter in between the songs. Anyway, I had become close personal friends with their publicist (who also knew the real ABBA), and he arranged for me to see them perform in Chicago and then interview them after the show. At the time, as a huge ABBA fan, I was giddy with excitement. It was a midnight show and I was full of adrenaline. I loved the show and really relished the chance to interview them. I was taken aback when they insisted on conducting their interview in full character, so I never got any “real” answers, just funny responses that went along with their fictional biography. Whatever, it was all in good fun. In the years since then, they’ve become a franchise with multiple groups going out and performing, according to their current Wikipedia article. But I got to meet the original bunch of them. Of course, my published interview in December 1994 was positively gushing with compliments and superlatives. That was my one and only brush with fame, kinda fun, I suppose.

I was curious if you had any .pdfs of any of the issues of In Tune that you guys did? I would love to take a look at them. I’ll try to dig up some old issues of CLUE and see if I can scan or take pictures of pages with my phone.

Here is the link to the Wikipedia page for Björn Again: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bj%C3%B6rn_Again
Flack
Site Admin

Post by Flack »

I don't have any PDFs of In-Tune. Because I printed it as a tabloid-size paper, I've never had a scanner that would let me scan it in. I've considered taking digital pictures of each page and doing it that way but never tried it.
Flack
www.robohara.com | www.facebook.com/robohara | www.twitter.com/Commodork
k8track

Post by k8track »

Yeah, same here with CLUE Magazine. I would love to digitally archive it for posterity. I designed and laid it out, wrote most of the articles, and did some artwork for it. It was a high point in my life.