The Terminator 1984

RSS feed links to blog posts, podcasts, and more. This is the only forum visible to non-registered guests. Includes posts from RobOHara.com, Podcast.RobOHara.com, and BigRobsVan.com.
m00npie

The Terminator 1984

Post by m00npie »

Title: The Terminator 1984
Date: Tue, 01 Oct 2019 00:47:27 +0000
Link: http://throwbackreviews.com/index.php/2019/10/01/the-terminator-1984/

Description: The guys just made it in time for the once a month post as Sean and Rob talk about the 1984 film The Terminator. We’ll be back….in October! If you would like to help support the show please use our link when shopping at Amazon.com Contacts & on the Web Rob  Sean Archive Episodes Email the […]
k8track

Re: The Terminator 1984

Post by k8track »

Enjoyed listening to this one. It's been years since I've seen the first two Terminator films. I need to watch them again.

I became irrationally angry when you were describing what the author of that book on clutter had to say about photographs. Something about how photos were trying to capture ghosts and should be thrown out. Seriously? What a total crackpot and dipshit. How could anyone take that seriously? And he wrote a whole book about that horseshit? I could also easily write a stupid book. Maybe I should.

You guys were debating whether the original Terminator should be classified as "sci-fi" or "horror." In my mind, it's clearly a "sci-fi thriller." Also, that reminds me of how old video stores would group sci-fi and horror together. Really bugged me. I have no problem grouping sci-fi with fantasy. But not horror. That should be separate.

Totally agree with Sean's assessment of the movie of Purple Rain. Your statement about the gap between the best soundtrack and worst movie was on point. That's exactly the point I make with Under the Cherry Moon, another Prince flick. Also the movie Magnolia; terrible movie but amazing soundtrack. At least Purple Rain has those awesome concert scenes. If you cut everything else out of the movie and left only the concert scenes and the purification at Lake Minnetonka, you'd have a short but awesome little concert film. Whereas Under the Cherry Moon has no redeeming qualities whatsoever (other than the Parade Soundtrack). Also, I think you mentioned that it was Vanity in the movie, but it was Apollonia. When I saw that movie back in the theater as a kid (I went with my friend and his parents who didn't care that it was rated R), that was the only scene I cared about and the only one I could remember for all those years until I saw it again decades later and realized what a crappy film it was.
AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

The only part about the movie that got to me, took me out of the move, was the cheesy robot GUI that the T-100 uses. It's funny how the future looks exactly like 1984 technology. When the building manager asked if he's got a dead cat in there and the terminator selects his answer from a list that blinks at him.

Also the fake rubber face reminded me of the one in Poltergeist

Re throwing out pictures. Don't do it. Write the location and date and the people in them on the back and pack em in a shoebox. There are too many people saying 'I wish I still had those picture's

THE
ONE OF THEM
AARDVARK
Flack
Site Admin

Post by Flack »

Vanity, Apollonia... I had a 50/50 shot.

Terminator is definitely a sci-fi thriller -- I guess what I was trying to say was that it used the structure of a horror film. If you take the sci-fi stuff out of it, it's a horror film. With the sci-fi stuff in there, obviously it's a sci-fi film.

The Clutter Buster book is about 20% and 80% bad, in my opinion. There's a lot of bad advice and almost faith healing mumbo jumbo in there that I don't agree with, but he does have a few good points which are slowly changing the way I look at things. I'm not going to be throwing old photographs out any time soon (or ever) because they're simply too easy to store, but stuff like DVDs are pretty easy to do (thus the sale).
Flack
www.robohara.com | www.facebook.com/robohara | www.twitter.com/Commodork