Audiobook

RSS feed links to blog posts, podcasts, and more. This is the only forum visible to non-registered guests. Includes posts from RobOHara.com, Podcast.RobOHara.com, and BigRobsVan.com.
Flack
Site Admin

Audiobook

Post by Flack »

My current plan is to turn Commodork into an audiobook. I'll post updates and information about the process here.

Here is what I have found out so far. To get an audiobook on Audible and Amazon, you have to submit it to ACX. ACX is free, and they will submit your audiobook to Amazon, Audible, and iTunes. ACX handles all the distribution and money collection and they (all parties involved) keep 60% of the profits and you get to keep 40%. You can also sign a non-exclusive deal with them, at which point you only get to keep 25% of the profits.
Flack
www.robohara.com | www.facebook.com/robohara | www.twitter.com/Commodork
AArdvark

Re: Audiobook

Post by AArdvark »

How will it be delivered, content-wise? Multiple CDs?

THE
BOX SET
AARDVARK
Flack
Site Admin

Post by Flack »

If at all possible I'd like to get out of the physical shipping business. If I sell them only through Audible/Amazon/iTunes, I don't have to do anything and I quality for the maximum royalty rate of 40%.

If I offer them as mp3s or cds on the side, I only qualify for the 25% royalty rate. I suppose I could try what I'm sure everyone else has tried which is telling them I won't sell them on the side and then sell them on the side.

I don't even know how many CDs an audio book normally takes up. I won't know that until I record it, I guess.
Flack
Flack
Site Admin

Post by Flack »

Also I wanted to mention that the audiobook will contain 13 new chapters as well. I'm calling them half chapters. They will be inserted in between the other chapters so they'll be numbered 1.5, 2.5, and so on and will be kind like a director's commentary track, where I talk about the making of the book, add to or make corrections to the stories, and so on. I'm hoping that will give people who already own the book an incentive to buy it in this format.
Flack
obliterator918

Post by obliterator918 »

So how do I get an autographed copy?
ubikuberalles

Post by ubikuberalles »

Get a blank CD, burn the MP3s from Flack's audio book and have him sign the CD.

I thought of a similar thing for my Kindle: I attach some kind of journal or writing pad (or some kind of autograph pad) on the inside of my Kindle case and have the authors autograph on that. It's an idea I'll probably never execute because I'm not an autograph hound and the autographs don't mean much to me.
Flack
Site Admin

Post by Flack »

I think there will always be a spot for some sort of physical media, but I started publishing right before the tables turned. When I published Commodork, physical media (paper) seemed the best way to go. I'm not even sure if I would bother with it today. I don't know the exact numbers (and I wish I had kept track) but I would say today , the PDF and e-book copies outsell the physical ones 50-1 roughly.

My next book will be about collecting things. I probably won't release it as a $15 paper book. More likely I'll do a $4.99 e-book and then a $30 limited edition paperback that includes an action figure from my collection or something like that.
Flack
Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

Flack wrote:ACX handles all the distribution and money collection and they (all parties involved) keep 60% of the profits and you get to keep 40%. You can also sign a non-exclusive deal with them, at which point you only get to keep 25% of the profits.

hahah, those truckling fucking leeches. Well, of course they should get 60%. They did all the work.

I will read your book for 0%. Earl has a velvet voice so he can handle the parts I struggled with. It's amazing to me how much this world devalues the actual people that get shit done.
Flack
Site Admin

Post by Flack »

I am thinking about giving the audio book away for free, or doing it like shareware. Let people download it for free and if they like it, they can send me $5-$10. If they hate it, they can send me nothing.
Flack
Scott

Post by Scott »

Any update?
Flack
Site Admin

Post by Flack »

The update is, I did a poll on Facebook and Twitter asking people what they would pay for an audiobook and most people said $0.

Doing some loose math, I figure it'll take me about 60 hours of work to write new chapters and record everything.

Once I began looking at the audiobook as 60 hours of work that most people were willing to pay $0 for, it kind of went on the back burner.
Flack