>> You Don't Know Flack: Podcast Ideas

RSS feed links to blog posts, podcasts, and more. This is the only forum visible to non-registered guests. Includes posts from RobOHara.com, Podcast.RobOHara.com, and BigRobsVan.com.
Flack
Site Admin

>> You Don't Know Flack: Podcast Ideas

Post by Flack »

Might as well stick this here:

[s]101: Firsts[/s]
[s]102: Dungeons and Dragons[/s]
[s]103: Arcades[/s]
[s]104: Console Copiers[/s]
[s]105: Boss BBS[/s]
[s]106: How to Write a Book[/s]
[s]107: The Kindle and the Acer[/s]
[s]108: Multitrack Recording[/s]
[s]109: 1541 Ultimate[/s]
[s]110: Floppy Disks[/s]
[s]111: The Gas Chamber[/s]
[s]112: Photon[/s]
[s]113: Apple Computers[/s]
[s]114: Arcade Auctions[/s]
[s]115: Text Adventures with Robb Sherwin[/s]
[s]116: Mr. Moonpie and Mr. Codfish[/s]
[s]117: Copyfests[/s]
[s]118: iCade[/s]
[s]119: Hohocon[/s]
[s]120: Radio Scanners[/s]
[s]121: Thrifting[/s]
[s]122: MAME Cabinets[/s]
[s]123: CFFA 3000[/s]
[s]124: Arkadia Retrocade[/s]
[s]125: Video Game Crash of 1983[/s]
[s]126: Nintendo Entertainment System (NES)[/s]

127: BASIC Programming
128: Commodore 128?

Retrogaming on the iPhone
The Gatherings
Every Computer I've Ever Owned
Modems
Working at Best Buy
Thrifting/Shopping
(NEW) Copyfests
(NEW) Soulz at Zero

That's kind of the list at the moment. If there are any on the list you'd like to hear more or less than any other ones, speak up. Feel free to submit suggestions as well.
Flack
www.robohara.com | www.facebook.com/robohara | www.twitter.com/Commodork
hexcrass

Re: Podcast Ideas

Post by hexcrass »

I'd really like to hear about arcade auctions. We don't have anything like that going on in California (at least I've never heard of any) and the idea that people are doing that all the time just a few states away kinda boggles my mind. They look really fun.
Felix

Post by Felix »

I think that hits many of the topics which I would suggest. Arcade auctions and working at Best buy interest me quite a bit.
Flack
Site Admin

Post by Flack »

hexcrass wrote:I'd really like to hear about arcade auctions. We don't have anything like that going on in California (at least I've never heard of any) and the idea that people are doing that all the time just a few states away kinda boggles my mind. They look really fun.

SuperAuctions has one listed this June in Compton:

June 5, 2010
COMPTON, CALIFORNIA
Live On-Site Amusement Equipment Consignment Auction
172 East Manville Street, Compton, CA 90220
Public Preview: Saturday, June 5,
between the hours of 8 AM and 10 AM
Auction Start Time: 10:00 AM
Removal: Saturday, June 5,
Throughout the Auction Up To 9 PM Only
To Sell Equipment: Please bring your equipment to the auction site on
Friday, June 4 between the hours of 10 AM and 9 PM

All I know about Compton I learned from NWA and Boys N' Tha' Hood so I don't know what it would be like to attend an auction there.
Flack
ubikuberalles

Post by ubikuberalles »

Here's what I posted in your Facebook status last week (might as well put it here, a place less ephemeral than the FB):

Your adventures in thrifting. Amazing finds, funny stories, weird people you saw there, the best places to thrift, the worst places to thrift, etc. Mary's swap meet deserves a mention. Best time of the day to go thrifting. Best day of the week or even month to go, etc. All time best find at a thrift all time worst thing you ever bought at a thrift (I'm thinking it's the cats CDs). How E-bay has affected the thrifts (pricing, availability, general attitude of the store employees and so on). That's all I can come up with to fill the topic but it should be more than enough to fill 30 minutes.

Talk about how you use your Wii and PS3 to view movies, listen to music and so on. I was impressed by what I saw and I want to set up something similar. Heck, before the year is out I might actually buy a PS3. *Gasp!* ME own a current gen system? OMG.
Flack
Site Admin

Post by Flack »

Cool, thanks Ubik. I'll do the thrifting one for sure, I just need to sit down and come up with some interesting stories to go with it.
Flack
AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

the only thing that I can think of to improve the podcasts would be more background sounds like you did in the first couple episodes. Something like having the arcade ambiance sounds in the background while you talk about different arcade stuff. Sort of like readers theater stuff. Or having the Golden Axe sounds in the background while you were talking about that. I know this is probably more work than you have time for, but it would be cool!

Edit: [url=http://tindeck.com/listen/wkbk]Like this[/url]

Double edit: Swear to god, ten minutes after I posted this I got to the part in Episode 6 where you are writing Invading Spaces and have this on in the background! Talk about weird...

THE
SYNCHRONISTIC
AARDVARK
Flack
Site Admin

Post by Flack »

Hah!

I've gone back and forth on the background sound issue. Without it, sometimes my voice seems to drone on (and on and on ...) but with it, or too much of it, it just seems gimmicky to me. I'll strive to a better balance in the future.
Flack
Flack
Site Admin

Post by Flack »

I added "Copyfests" to the list. I covered a lot of that ground in Commodork, but some of the stories are great and for people who haven't heard the book they would all be new. Plus I'm sure I could add some new stories and details that didn't make the book.

I guess that's a good question. Are any of you interesting in hearing podcasts that may cross over material that was in Commodork and/or Invading Spaces? So far I've tried not to retread too many of those stories, but some cross over is inevitable.

I also added Soulz at Zero; it's another topic that, because I dedicated an entire chapter to it in Commodork, I haven't touched on the podcast. Thoughts?
Flack
hexcrass

Post by hexcrass »

Flack wrote:
I guess that's a good question. Are any of you interesting in hearing podcasts that may cross over material that was in Commodork and/or Invading Spaces? So far I've tried not to retread too many of those stories, but some cross over is inevitable.

I'm interested! I'm a poor kid with no money for books, so I haven't got chance to read either of yours.
Flack
Site Admin

Post by Flack »

109 is done and out the door. I think I'm doing to delay my original topic for 110 (Text Adventures) until Get Lamp comes out. I came up with an interesting topic yesterday ("Floppies") so I think I will do that for 110.

EDIT: 110 is coming together really quickly. I don't want to release back-to-back episodes, but this one is practically writing itself and I think it'll be more interesting than 109 was (that one felt a little dry to me).
Flack
Flack
Site Admin

Post by Flack »

110 (Floppies) is completely written. Chances are I'll record it tonight and edit it sometime this weekend. I'm thinking of naming it "Floppy Trails to You" or maybe "Flopping Away" or something equally unfunny. This episode practically wrote itself and I'm excited about recording it. It has a lot of facts and several stories; I think you guys will dig it.
Flack
Gapporin

Post by Gapporin »

Don't copy that floppy!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=up863eQKGUI[/media]
Scarylad

Post by Scarylad »

Im probably a bit biased, but I would love another vintage Yukon podcast. I loved you describing Yukon in the 80's.
Flack
Site Admin

Post by Flack »

Scarylad wrote:Im probably a bit biased, but I would love another vintage Yukon podcast. I loved you describing Yukon in the 80's.

How long have you lived in Yukon, and when did you move here?

I'll have to go back and re-listen but I think I covered all the old Yukon arcades in the Arcade podcast (or mabyr that was only in the book? I'll have to double-check for sure). There weren't a lot of game stores to cover; GameXChange is already gone. There was another one for a year or so in that strip mall down by the police station, but it's been gone for lotsa years.
Flack
Scarylad

Post by Scarylad »

I'm 30, and I have lived here all of my life. I lived over on Kingston Dr, (Shedeck side) until I got married to another Yukon lifer and now live over by Myers.

The arcade podcast was fantastic. I had no idea about those arcades in Yukon. My parents were not very supportive of the whole playing video games thing. I have a brother 10 years my senior but he was a sports guy and maintined then and today video games are for losers.

I do remember the game store behind the police station, as well as The Warp Zone on Vandament which eventually turned in to a TCG shop. Also remember when Yukon Comics turned into a computer store before going out of business.
Flack
Site Admin

Post by Flack »

I can't really remember The Warp Zone -- that might have been during the couple of years I moved out of state. I'm 36, but have lived in or around Yukon pretty much my entire life (graduated in 91). We live just past I-40 and Czech Hall, and my kids go to Shedeck (as did I).

When the place over by the police station closed down, the guy had a sign in the window saying that everything was for sale at his house. Either I or someone I know (it's been a while) called him and said that someone else bought everything in one fell swoop. I always suspected it was GXC but I don't know that for sure.
Flack
Earl Green

Post by Earl Green »

Consider this a vote to move Photon stories up the list. This is a phenomenon that completely missed me, because it just never came to my area, and I'm intrigued by the photos you took of the open-once-and-then-closed-again place in Tulsa. (Feel free to make the introductory part of it "Photon for Dummies" for people like me who just didn't live in a big enough city.)
Flack
Site Admin

Post by Flack »

Hah, "Photon for Dummies" -- I love it! Consider it moved up a bit.
Flack
triverse

Post by triverse »

Flack wrote:I guess that's a good question. Are any of you interesting in hearing podcasts that may cross over material that was in Commodork and/or Invading Spaces? So far I've tried not to retread too many of those stories, but some cross over is inevitable.

Just my 2 cents but, I would definitely hit on topics from either book if possible to make them sound fluid and integral to the podcast they appear in. Use the podcast to sell more copies of the books, one way to do that would be to touch on those stories. It will pique interest in the book while giving you a little more content for the podcast.
hexcrass

Post by hexcrass »

Ahhhh Photon vs Laser Tag!!!! Those guns sure did look cool, I had a few guns but never got to actually play. My friend had a laser tag rifle, that was the only one I've ever seen.
Flack
Site Admin

Post by Flack »

111 is almost written (The Gas Chamber). In that one I'll be talking about some of my old BBS experiences that eventually led up to running the original Gas Chamber, back in the mid-90s, and the eventual formation of this one. I may end up recording that one Sunday night ... we'll have to see. I'm starting to toss down some ideas for 112 which will be the Photon episode.
Flack
hexcrass

Post by hexcrass »

Flack wrote:111 is almost written (The Gas Chamber). In that one I'll be talking about some of my old BBS experiences that eventually led up to running the original Gas Chamber, back in the mid-90s, and the eventual formation of this one. I may end up recording that one Sunday night ... we'll have to see. I'm starting to toss down some ideas for 112 which will be the Photon episode.

I could've sworn you already did a Photon episode? Did I just imagine that?
hexcrass

Post by hexcrass »

Do you think you could do one about building MAME cabinets? I'm curious how you built yours.
Flack
Site Admin

Post by Flack »

That's not a bad idea, and I will add it to the list.

In a related topic, originally the podcast was all going to be about old video games, old arcade games, and old computers ... then again, I had already broken that mold by episode two, when I started rambling on about D&D. I don't suppose talking about MAME would be any worse than that, or Photon for that matter. :) I can see the scope of the podcast slowly expanding over time.
Flack