Sprite Castle 049: Jeopardy

RSS feed links to blog posts, podcasts, and more. This is the only forum visible to non-registered guests. Includes posts from RobOHara.com, Podcast.RobOHara.com, and BigRobsVan.com.
m00npie

Sprite Castle 049: Jeopardy

Post by m00npie »

Title: Sprite Castle 049: Jeopardy
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2020 05:50:16 +0000
Link: http://podcast.robohara.com/sprite-castle-049-jeopardy/

Description: On this week’s episode of Sprite Castle, I wanted to honor the life of Alex Trebek by playing and reviewing JEOPARDY! Sprite Castle Plays Jeopardy: […]
obliterator918

Re: Sprite Castle 049: Jeopardy

Post by obliterator918 »

Good 'cast. I think games like this were just beyond what was reasonable to expect from 8-bit machines with limited RAM. Especially things like not accepting phonetic spelling of answers, etc.

Not a C64 game, but a really good "game show" game I played is You Don't Know Jack on PSX. It's been a long time since I played it, but I recall having a blast with a group of people.

Weird Al in 3D was also my first Weird Al tape. :-)
Flack
Site Admin

Post by Flack »

Thanks, Obi. There's a combination of things -- inferior sound and graphics, disk loading times, and a shallow pool of questions -- that combine to make these games passable, but not great. It's too bad for them they did not buy into the "Bic Razor" business model. They could have sold the game relatively cheap and then offered question upgrades multiple times a year.

When I first decided to start a podcast, I held a contest on Digital Press in hopes that someone would submit a great name. Someone suggested You Don't Know Jack Flack, which quickly got shortened to You Don't Know Flack!

I think the only people who knew about Weird Al's first album at the time were fans of Dr. Demento. The second album contained actual singles that got played on the radio, which is where I discovered Al (radio and MTV). I had 3D and Dare to be Stupid on vinyl, and then switched to CDs after that I think. I believe Weird Al is the only artist who I own every major album on CD. That includes some of the greatest hits packages, but not the box set. And although I would say he is my all time favorite artist, he does hold the record for the performer I've seen perform live the most times. Now that I typed that, I think he might be tied with Pantera or Metallica. But he's up there at (I think) 4 shows.
Flack
www.robohara.com | www.facebook.com/robohara | www.twitter.com/Commodork
obliterator918

Post by obliterator918 »

Would love to see Al play some time. We have all of his albums up until maybe the last one or two. We have the Permanent Record box set, which has seen plenty of use. It was something we bought together early in our marriage. My wife and I did not enjoy the same genres of music, but we could always agree to listen to Weird Al on road trips.
Flack
Site Admin

Post by Flack »

I saw Weird Al live with a friend in the mid 00s, with Mason in Kansas City, with Susan and Mason in Oklahoma City, and all four of us in Tulsa.

Weird Al has mastered the stage show. He has a dozen costume changes that go along with the songs, and has large screens that show multimedia clips to fill the time when he's changing outfits. It's a very smooth and well-oiled performance. That being said... it doesn't change a lot. I'm pretty sure every time we've seen him perform live, the show has ended with The Saga Begins followed by Yoda (with the Yoda chant). I'm sure he changes up some of his originals from time to time, but rest assured you're going to see Al dressed up in the suit from Fat and the outfit from Smells Like Nirvana.
Flack
obliterator918

Post by obliterator918 »

Sounds like a good You Don't Know Flack topic, unless you already did that.
AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

God, I remember seeing Weird Al and Dr. Demento in concert when Another One Rides The Bus was just making it big, or at least as big as it was gonna get. My mom had to drive us to the club. Dr. Demento actually refrained from playing some R rated songs because we were in the audience.
Flack
Site Admin

Post by Flack »

obliterator918 wrote:Sounds like a good You Don't Know Flack topic, unless you already did that.

Here's my issue at the moment. I'm 100% positive I've talked about Crossroads Mall on the show before, but I can't figure out which episode it was on, or to what depth. I don't see any episodes with "mall" in the title, so I'll have to do some digging this afternoon. But I agree, this is one I could definitely talk about for an hour. And if I did/do it, I'd limit it to a single mall. Crossroads Mall would be perfect, as the mall's history has a specific beginning, middle, and end.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossroads_Mall_(Oklahoma)

PS: I figured out where I talked about Crossroads Mall before. This would not prevent me from doing it on YDKF.

https://throwbackreviews.com/index.php/2019/01/26/the-mall/
Flack
obliterator918

Post by obliterator918 »

Actually I was thinking of a YDKF on Weird Al.
Flack
Site Admin

Post by Flack »

Hah! Well, you never know!
Flack
Flack
Site Admin

Post by Flack »

After re-reading this thread, I'm completely baffled as to where the Crossroads Mall reference came from. Were we talking about malls in a different thread? Reading back, I sound like a complete crazy man. I must've been multitasking at the time.
Flack
k8track

Post by k8track »

I'll second the suggestion for a YDKF on Weird Al. I've seen him twice in concert. The first time absolutely blew me away. I saw him at the Illinois State Fair. He ended with an absolutely epic rendition of Albuquerque. https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/weird-al-yankovic/2008/illinois-state-fairgrounds-grandstand-springfield-il-43dad79b.html

The second time was great too. Started out with "Tacky" and he was walking through the building and through the audience, it was great, a callback to the video.

Another YDKF topic I think would be interesting would be to talk about your old "LoveThyShelf" site. The name has since been taken by Facebook and Instagram users (no idea if they're the same but who cares). I liked that site and would be interested to hear anything you'd have to say about the topic, the site itself or just shelving solutions in general.