The Death of a Chair

Welcome to the front porch! This is a great place for general conversation, news articles, and anything else!

The Death of a Chair

Postby Flack » October 13th, 2017, 7:01 am

Blog Title: The Death of a Chair
Blog Link: http://www.robohara.com/?p=10677
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2017 11:06:44 +0000

Description:

A common phrase among writers is “butt-in-chair” time. Websites offering writing advice are particularly fond of the phrase. At its simplest, it means to write, you have to be sitting in a chair, in front of a computer. That’s hard to do for hours on end when your chair hurts your butt after only [...]

Flack
Site Admin

Re: The Death of a Chair

Postby k8track » October 14th, 2017, 7:14 pm

DEATH CHAIR, THE CHAIR THAT EATS PEOPLE
k8track

Postby obliterator918 » October 15th, 2017, 7:23 am

When we moved into our first apartment we were so broke that all we could buy for our computer chairs were folding chairs -- the kind churches have stacked 100 deep in the gym for when they need to set up for banquets and stuff. They at least had cushions on them. I was young enough not to really care, but I was starting to get overweight quickly back then. After a few months, I began to have serious back pain. Since I spent a great deal of time in that chair I knew that was part of the problem. Since then I have had NO loyalty to chairs regardless of what amazing feats were accomplished with my butt in them. I have kept many chairs too long but mainly out of lack of means to buy new ones on impulse... these days I just buy a new desk chair when it starts to become a problem. I actually bought a sit-to-stand desk so I can take the chair out of the equation for a little while when I feel the need. Too many back problems for chair sentimentality...

Our living room couch, on the other hand...
obliterator918

Postby Flack » October 17th, 2017, 6:33 am

k8track wrote:DEATH CHAIR, THE CHAIR THAT EATS PEOPLE

You're giving away all my great short story ideas!
Flack
Site Admin

Postby Flack » October 17th, 2017, 6:41 am

obliterator918 wrote:When we moved into our first apartment we were so broke that all we could buy for our computer chairs were folding chairs -- the kind churches have stacked 100 deep in the gym for when they need to set up for banquets and stuff. They at least had cushions on them. I was young enough not to really care, but I was starting to get overweight quickly back then. After a few months, I began to have serious back pain. Since I spent a great deal of time in that chair I knew that was part of the problem. Since then I have had NO loyalty to chairs regardless of what amazing feats were accomplished with my butt in them. I have kept many chairs too long but mainly out of lack of means to buy new ones on impulse... these days I just buy a new desk chair when it starts to become a problem. I actually bought a sit-to-stand desk so I can take the chair out of the equation for a little while when I feel the need. Too many back problems for chair sentimentality...

Our living room couch, on the other hand...

My wife has learned to stop telling me what things cost. I flip out over things that cost more than my first car ($1,000). Susan wouldn't tell me what our leather sectional cost for almost two years. Eventually I learned that it cost more than a couple of my first cars. It's more comfortable than my first car.

A friend of mine told me last week that I am a very cheap person. I never thought of myself as being cheap, I just spend money on weird things. It's hard for me to justify a new chair when I already have a (admittedly worn out) chair. In the same token, I have no problem dropping money on toys or computers or whatever.
Flack
Site Admin

Return to [PUBLIC] The Front Porch