Retiring from Podcasting

Welcome to the front porch! This is a great place for general conversation, news articles, and anything else!

Retiring from Podcasting

Postby Flack » September 25th, 2017, 7:01 am

Blog Title: Retiring from Podcasting
Blog Link: http://www.robohara.com/?p=10646
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2017 11:06:12 +0000

Description:

I have decided, after nine-and-a-half years, to take a semi-permanent break from podcasting.

I realize that in the big scheme of things, I am nobody. For me to publicly declare my podcasting retirement is the equivalent of your drunken neighbor shouting from his window at three in the morning that he will never eat [...]

Flack
Site Admin

Re: Retiring from Podcasting

Postby Ice Cream Jonsey » September 25th, 2017, 10:31 pm

=(
Ice Cream Jonsey

Postby Ice Cream Jonsey » September 25th, 2017, 11:19 pm

OK, so, having read it.... you are uniquely gifted. You can tell a story about topics that are, on paper, mind numbingly boring and have them come off rich and full of color. People like you, like listening to you, like being around you. Yours is the only podcast I think I've ever listen to a third episode of and beyond.

I get the time thing. How you accomplish anything in addition to getting an advanced degree is amazing. I speak for all of us when I say that I hope you bring that cart out of the closet in a few years when you're able to again. You have a gift.
Ice Cream Jonsey

Postby Flack » September 27th, 2017, 12:34 pm

Well thanks man, I appreciate that.

My room was always a mess when I was a kid. When things got completely out of control I would resolve to clean it. First I would pull all the books off my shelves (making things worse, not better) and sort them. Sometimes I would sort them alphabetically, sometimes by author, sometimes by size and sometimes by color. Sometimes I would do it over and over, just to decide which I liked best. Then I would move on to, depending on the year, either my computer desk or my Star Wars toys, again spinning my wheels on inconsequential tasks. By the time I was done, my room was no closer to being clean than when I had started. In fact, it was usually in worse shape.

I like making podcasts, I really do, but I'm just getting this feeling that my real dreams are slipping away because I spent too much time doing free side projects. "That O'Hara, he never published a book, but boy was he a good Tweeter." You know?

I don't intend to step away from podcasting forever, but I definitely need a break while I'm finishing up school and some bigger projects.
Flack
Site Admin

Postby k8track » September 28th, 2017, 8:12 am

I've told you this before, and I'll say it again, I really appreciate everything you've done. I've listened to almost every single one of your podcasts. Even if you never make another podcast again, know that you've contributed immensely to the podcast community. Your shows always entertain me. I personally do hope you return eventually, however long that would be, but focus on what you need to do. First things first.

You are loved and appreciated.
k8track

Postby Kid Ice » October 1st, 2017, 7:59 pm

Flack wrote:I like making podcasts, I really do, but I'm just getting this feeling that my real dreams are slipping away because I spent too much time doing free side projects. "That O'Hara, he never published a book, but boy was he a good Tweeter." You know?

For this reason I've been paying a lot more attention to my real career (teaching) and less (or none) to gaming-related creative projects. It's not that I don't want to do that kind of stuff anymore. I feel like my priorities are coming into focus.... I only have so many "good" years of (relatively) youthful energy left. I don't want to spend them writing articles about Zaxxon.

The hard part is the loss of the relationships that were attached to these creative exploits. Losing those connections to people.
Kid Ice

Postby Sumer » October 2nd, 2017, 7:13 pm

Wow! I am going to miss you sorely! I just discovered you and your great stories at the end of last year and I am having a ball listening. Very ironic that I actually started listening to your YDNF episode about Podcasting today.

One good thing is that I still have a ton of your episodes that I am still trying to get through. So, I should be good for awhile. Who knows..maybe by the time I finish those you may decide to come back for a bit. :)
-KevinO!
Sumer

Return to [PUBLIC] The Front Porch