iPad 3: The Light is Fading…

Welcome to the front porch! This is a great place for general conversation, news articles, and anything else!

iPad 3: The Light is Fading…

Postby Flack » September 15th, 2017, 9:01 am

Blog Title: iPad 3: The Light is Fading…
Blog Link: http://www.robohara.com/?p=10632
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2017 13:29:48 +0000

Description:

My wife once told me we shouldn’t have a television in our bedroom because Oprah said so.

That’s not the real reason. The real reason is because Susan can’t sleep with the television on, and it doesn’t bother me at all. If it were up to me, I’d start a movie every night before [...]

Flack
Site Admin

Re: iPad 3: The Light is Fading…

Postby obliterator918 » September 15th, 2017, 11:07 am

It is interesting how quickly these app vendors are willing to abandon older installations. But this is what we get with the "cloud" model of software delivery. Software is a "service" and that means you can't just install something and expect it to keep working indefinitely. If it relies on outside processing and data, it will only work as long as that outside end supports that specific client. I am not a fan of cloud-based apps, but that ship has sailed.
obliterator918

Postby Ice Cream Jonsey » September 15th, 2017, 7:06 pm

What happened to Flack happened to us with the iPad 2 I got my (now) wife for Christmas one year. It is an outrage. One voyage into obliviousness was enough for me, I'll never get another Apple iPad. I unshackled myself from the iPhone a while back and will never return because of the headphone jack thing.

I actually like their laptops, but I also have the version at work before the one with that extremely stupid touchpad that is missing all the ports. I'm going to let them get all this out of their system and if they don't, well, I'm OK never giving them any more money.

I would have to think that there has to be some sort of jailbreak / hacker community for iPads. There was one for the 3COM Audrey for goodness sake. Like, the hardware itself is FINE, they could be amazing Internet tablets if non-trash software got on it again. I haven't looked any of this up because there are a million other devices I'd rather muck about with than the iPad right now.
Ice Cream Jonsey

Postby Flack » September 15th, 2017, 11:46 pm

obliterator918 wrote:It is interesting how quickly these app vendors are willing to abandon older installations. But this is what we get with the "cloud" model of software delivery. Software is a "service" and that means you can't just install something and expect it to keep working indefinitely. If it relies on outside processing and data, it will only work as long as that outside end supports that specific client. I am not a fan of cloud-based apps, but that ship has sailed.

I don't have a lot of games on my phone but one is this little motorcycle game. It's really simplistic and it's one of the first games I ever got for my phone (I actually had it on my iPod touch before I even had an iPhone). I played the free version for a long time and ended up dropping the $4.99 or whatever it was for the paid version.

The other day I was removing unused apps off my phone and ran across this game and thought I'd play it one more time. When you launch it, you get a series of errors. Error connecting to online leaderboard, error downloading new courses, error doing this, error doing that... it does eventually play, but just barely.

I am not foolish enough to think that a developer is obligated to keep the back end for a silly game up and running for life, but it would be nice, at least for the apps I paid money for, that they continued working in some sort of offline mode. :/
Flack
Site Admin

Postby Flack » September 15th, 2017, 11:51 pm

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:What happened to Flack happened to us with the iPad 2 I got my (now) wife for Christmas one year. It is an outrage. One voyage into obliviousness was enough for me, I'll never get another Apple iPad. I unshackled myself from the iPhone a while back and will never return because of the headphone jack thing.

I actually like their laptops, but I also have the version at work before the one with that extremely stupid touchpad that is missing all the ports. I'm going to let them get all this out of their system and if they don't, well, I'm OK never giving them any more money.

I would have to think that there has to be some sort of jailbreak / hacker community for iPads. There was one for the 3COM Audrey for goodness sake. Like, the hardware itself is FINE, they could be amazing Internet tablets if non-trash software got on it again. I haven't looked any of this up because there are a million other devices I'd rather muck about with than the iPad right now.

After I wrote my blog post I decided to drag out the iPad one and see what I could do with it.

Basically, two of my old apps still work. GoodReads, and AirPlayer. Now, AirPlayer is a big one. It allows me to stream music, pictures, and most importantly movies from my local network. GoodReads is a good eBook reader, but it only supports PDF and TXT files. It also connects to DropBox, which makes downloading books simple.

I tried finding an ePub reader for my iPad 1, but I ran out of steam. It won't let me install any iPad apps from the App Store on it, although I was able to install some older iPhone apps. Of the ones I found, I couldn't find any that would allow me to sync ePub books to it somehow.

My iPad 1 is jailbroken but that doesn't seem to be helping me much. Maybe I can find an old ePub reader and side load it onto the thing. If all the old one did was stream media and allowed me to read books, I'd be pretty happy.
Flack
Site Admin

Postby obliterator918 » September 16th, 2017, 12:32 pm

Flack wrote:
obliterator918 wrote:I am not foolish enough to think that a developer is obligated to keep the back end for a silly game up and running for life, but it would be nice, at least for the apps I paid money for, that they continued working in some sort of offline mode. :/

Years ago my wife and I settled on a shared shopping list app for our phones. It was free, but with ads. We both paid for the "pro" version that was no different except that the ads are not there. Since neither of us ever clicked on the ads it was pure gravy for the author. Not much, but we liked it so we bought it.

The last time I reset my phone I went to find it. The pro version is no longer in the store, only the ads version. It still works but that just ticked me off. I suppose he figured he makes more money on fat finger ad clicks or something. Or maybe he is no longer "supporting" it and doesn't want to sell it any more for that reason. I just wish I could have it back on our phones without the ads. The problem with the "store" model, which I hate, is that you simply cannot make an archive of what you bought. I have a folder filled with softwar einstallers for stuff I have purchased so that even if the company stops making the downloads available I can still use them. There is no way to do that with these stupid "app stores."
obliterator918

Return to [PUBLIC] The Front Porch