Star Wars 6" Figure Line

Are you a toy collector? Are you a game collector? Are you a computer collector? Are you a dirty, dirty hoarder? Whatever, this is the place to talk about collecting and show off your collections.

Star Wars 6" Figure Line

Postby Flack » August 7th, 2013, 10:41 am

This month Hasbro is launching a new 6" line of action figures. The figures will be sold for $20 each. I believe 4 figures (Luke Skywalker in X-Wing Pilot Suit, Darth Maul, R2-D2 and Sandtrooper) will be released this month and another 4 will be released by the end of the year. They "say" that there will only be 8 figures total in this line but if nerds line up to buy $20 figures then I am sure they will be making 900 of them.

I really love the detail on these new figures. If they are only making 8 different ones, I wonder what the second four will be?

EDIT: I found that they are doing 3 waves. Here are the figures from waves 2 and 3.

Star Wars Episode 3 Anakin Skywalker 6" Action Figure UPC:653569897828
Star Wars Episode 3 Obi Wan Kenobi 6" Action Figure UPC:653569898245
Star Wars Episode 4 Greedo 6" Action Figure UPC:653569898269
Star Wars Episode 5 Luke Bespin 6" Action Figure UPC:653569898252

Star Wars Boba Fett 6" Action Figure UPC:653569897811
Star Wars Slave Leia 6" Action Figure UPC:653569897804
Star Wars Episode 4 Han Solo 6" Action Figure UPC:653569897835
Star Wars Episode 4 Stormtrooper 6" Action Figure UPC:653569898238
Flack
Site Admin

Re: Star Wars 6" Figure Line

Postby Flack » August 24th, 2013, 11:27 pm

These are supposedly in stores now, although "in stores" and "in stores in Oklahoma" are two different things.
Flack
Site Admin

Postby Flack » August 30th, 2013, 9:35 pm

Susan found these for me while I was out of town. I now have all four of the first wave.

This forum is pretty boring and quiet.
Flack
Site Admin

Postby Earl Green » August 31st, 2013, 4:09 pm

I saw, stared at, and walked past the entire first wave in the Fort Smith Target the other day. $20 is just a bit rich for my blood... and I despise action figure scale changes. I refuse to go along with them. I'll be sticking with occasional purchases from the Vintage Collection carded 3.75" figures if Kenner keeps doing them.

The Doctor Who figures lost me this year with the switch from 5" to 3.75", and circa '96, Playmates lost a buy-everything-that's-released customer by switching the Star Trek figures from 4.5" to 6". If I've invested heavily in playsets, vehicles, etc., a scale change is a sure way to lose me.
Earl Green

Postby lethargic » August 31st, 2013, 4:12 pm

I don't understand how kids can have any toys these days due to the prices.

As a kid I used to take all GI Joes and all my Transformers and set them all across from each other in various positions and then have them fire. I'd use my finger to draw an imaginary line of fire from each gun and see who got shot and eliminated. Then reset the ones who lived and keep going. This would go on for a couple of hours until one side was victorious.

If toys cost then what they do now this game would've really sucked because I'd only have like 3.
lethargic

Postby Earl Green » August 31st, 2013, 4:18 pm

I should point out that I was skulking about in the Target toy aisle looking for a Donatello to complete a set of TMNT figure for my son's birthday here in under 3 weeks. He has been pining for Ninja Turtles, and I scored the other three at a TRU sale, along with the first toys I've seen from the new Pac-Man cartoon (which he loves), but not Donatello. Fortunately, Target was able to meet my Ninja Turtle needs adequately. Happy kid coming up.
Earl Green

Postby Flack » August 31st, 2013, 11:10 pm

The Star Wars 6" line is pretty limited. AFAIK there are only going to be 12 figures in all, released in three waves of four. If I thought it was going to go on forever I wouldn't have started, but since it's a finite number I decided to pick them up. These first four aren't my four favorite characters, but they are so super detailed and poseable, I really love them.

I agree that it seems like figures are super expensive now, but the newest line of SW figures are $5.99 and there are two-packs for $9.99. Star Wars figures in 1978 cost $1.99 each. I just used an inflation calculator and $1.99 in 1978 is $6.91 today.

http://www.westegg.com/inflation/infl.cgi
Flack
Site Admin

Postby ubikuberalles » September 1st, 2013, 1:42 am

lethargic wrote:As a kid I used to take all GI Joes and all my Transformers and set them all across from each other in various positions and then have them fire. I'd use my finger to draw an imaginary line of fire from each gun and see who got shot and eliminated. Then reset the ones who lived and keep going. This would go on for a couple of hours until one side was victorious.

Which side shot first?

If you used Star Wars action figures in the setup the answer would have been easy: The side with Han Solo in it would have shot first.

/rimshot
Ranch!
ubikuberalles

Postby Felix » September 1st, 2013, 10:17 pm

I've narrowed my Star Wars collecting to 1:6 figures, but theses ones almost have pulled me back in. I saw Luke in Target and was quite tempted.
Felix

Postby Earl Green » September 19th, 2013, 5:08 pm

Speaking of 1/6 scale... HOLY BAT... CRAP... BATMAN!

I saw the box set of the 6" 1966 Batman & Robin figures (where they're climbing the wall of the building) a few weeks ago in the store. I just about spent the grocery money. :lol:
Earl Green

Postby Flack » September 22nd, 2013, 10:06 pm

That Batman figure is incredible. Fantastic detail.
Flack
Site Admin

Postby Felix » September 23rd, 2013, 10:12 pm

I've been waiting quite some time for quality Batman 66 figures. This is a dream come true!
Felix

Postby Earl Green » September 27th, 2013, 3:05 am

As a rule, I just don't do 1/6 figures - haven't got the room for 'em anymore - but... yeah. Kinda want to break my own rule there.
Earl Green

Postby Flack » January 23rd, 2014, 9:11 am

I picked up the second wave recently. The second wave consists of Han Solo, Greedo, Slave Leia, and Boba Fett. Here are my thoughts:

Han Solo: Looks just like Harrison Ford. Along with his normal belt/holster and pistol he also comes (by default) wearing a white Stormtrooper belt/holster and a Stormtrooper rifle. I'm not sure why that would be the default, but it's cool either way.

Greedo: Looks like Greedo. If they are only releasing 12 figures in this line I'm not sure why they made one of them Greedo, especially since it doesn't look like we're getting Vader or C-3P0 or Lando or half a dozen other people I'd rather have.

Slave Leia: Obviously this tells you (a) who made these figures and (b) who is collecting them. For a collection of heroes I'd rather have Bespin Leia or Hoth Leia or even ANH Leia but instead it's bikini Leia... not that she doesn't look great, mind you. She comes with a long staff and a skirt. I'm sure guys love this one but it just feels a little weird.

Boba Fett: So far, this is my favorite figure. He comes with multiple guns. He comes with his jet pack. He comes with his little cape. He is bad ass. He is Boba Fett.

MSRP for all figures is $19.99. The first three can be found new for between $10 and $15 on Amazon. Fett is still going for $35+. I was able to find all the figures locally at Target and/or Toys R Us for MSRP except for Fett, which I did buy online.

For the third and final (?) wave, only three figures have been announced:

- Luke Skywalker (Bespin Outfit)
- Obi-Wan Kenobi (Revenge of the Sith)
- Stormtrooper

http://news.toyark.com/2013/10/31/high- ... tos-107526

The Luke one looks great, although out of 12 (or is it 11?) figures, that'll make two Lukes. The Stormtrooper also looks great, but we already have a Sandtrooper (which was another odd choice). The Obi Wan looks okay but for a line of classic figures I'm not sure why they threw in young Obi Wan. I'm disappointed in that choice.
Flack
Site Admin

Postby Flack » January 23rd, 2014, 9:14 am

Also: these guys have holes in the bottoms of their feet for pegs, but I'm not sure what size pegs they require. I definitely need to pick some up as these guys really, really suck at standing up on their own. There's a reason the Sandtrooper and Han are leaning up against the sides of the shelf in the picture above, and at least once a week I come home to find Greedo in the floor. Some of the others I had to put in really awkward positions (Fett, Maul) to get them to stand up.
Flack
Site Admin

Postby ubikuberalles » January 23rd, 2014, 1:28 pm

Do they sell stands for them? If not, you can easily make your own by buying some dowels and flat wood from Hobby Lobby, do some cutting and drilling and mounting the figures. Of course, you'll have to figure out what diameter dowel will work. That would be interesting to see you come in the store with a Star Wars figure. :D
Ranch!
ubikuberalles

Postby Flack » January 23rd, 2014, 3:47 pm

The holes are small enough that the traditional stands might work for them. I'll have to try tonight when I get home.

Also, in case you didn't know, the peg holes for the original Kenner line of figures (77-85) is different from the newer figures (1995+). For no reason. They're just different. So when you buy stands, you have to make sure to specify which ones you are getting.
Flack
Site Admin

Postby Ice Cream Jonsey » January 23rd, 2014, 11:28 pm

I feel that a 3D printer would be useful for making stands. We need a 3D printer!
Ice Cream Jonsey

Postby lethargic » January 24th, 2014, 2:45 pm

If you had a 3D printer couldn't you just make your own figures?

I think 3D printers are going to end the world.
lethargic

Postby Flack » January 25th, 2014, 9:08 am

I looked at getting a 3D printer a couple of years ago and they were like $10k. I looked again a couple of weeks ago and you can get one that will print a 4" cube for $499 and a 6" cube for $799. The original Star Wars figures were 3 3/4" so I'm guessing that cheaper one could do it. They all use the same CAD format so you can just download 3D models people have made of spaceships or cars or people or whatever and print them out. If you know how to do CAD (I don't) you could make your own. I assume there's also a way to scan things in and print them.
Flack
Site Admin

Postby Flack » January 25th, 2014, 9:12 am

For a little over a hundred bucks, this place will 3D print your head and stick it on an action figure.

http://www.3ders.org/articles/20120407- ... igure.html
Flack
Site Admin

Postby lethargic » January 25th, 2014, 2:58 pm

Flack wrote:I looked at getting a 3D printer a couple of years ago and they were like $10k. I looked again a couple of weeks ago and you can get one that will print a 4" cube for $499 and a 6" cube for $799. The original Star Wars figures were 3 3/4" so I'm guessing that cheaper one could do it. They all use the same CAD format so you can just download 3D models people have made of spaceships or cars or people or whatever and print them out. If you know how to do CAD (I don't) you could make your own. I assume there's also a way to scan things in and print them.

Once 3D printing goes mainstream, pretty much anything is going to be able to be pirated as easy as movies and music. Piratebay will start being filled with designs that you download and print and oh look, you have the latest $3000 Sideshow Collectible action figure for the price of a plastic block.
lethargic

Postby Earl Green » January 27th, 2014, 12:01 am

The rub will be in the paint jobs. They'll fall into one of two categories:

1. Works of art infinitely superior to the mass-produced, assembly-line-painted figures
2. Godawful pieces of crap infinitely worse than mass-produced, assembly-line-painted figures
Earl Green

Postby Flack » January 27th, 2014, 10:39 am

I was just going to say that. I don't know what the definition or quality of scanning and printing an object is (I'm assuming each generation loses quality) but it'll be the painting that makes or breaks a figure.

Also, The Pirate Bay has a category for printable objects called Physibles. You can read more about them here.

http://thepiratebay.se/blog/203
Flack
Site Admin

Postby lethargic » January 27th, 2014, 2:44 pm

The printers will get better and be able to print different colors. It'll paint them for you. 3D printers are DOOM.
lethargic

Next

Return to [PUBLIC] Toys and Collecting