Big playsets

Are you a toy collector? Are you a game collector? Are you a computer collector? Are you a dirty, dirty hoarder? Whatever, this is the place to talk about collecting and show off your collections.

Big playsets

Postby AArdvark » April 29th, 2016, 8:15 pm

What are some of the biggest playsets for action figures? I just saw the Star Wars Wednesday blog with the Death Star playset and it got me thinking. I used to have one of the Eagle spaceships from the Space:1999 show but after I got older it had an accident involving fireworks and gas. I thought that was a big toy when I got it. At the time it was almost as big as me. Now it seems that all the playsets are smaller but I haven't looked into it.

THE
NO, I'M GETTING BIGGER
AARDVARK
AArdvark

Re: Big playsets

Postby Flack » April 30th, 2016, 7:40 am

The first one that comes to mind is the G.I. Joe aircraft carrier, the USS Flagg. It retailed for $109 according to Wikipedia (in 1986!) and was 7-foot-6-inches long.

Next to that I would think the "fortress" playsets were the biggest -- He-Man's Castle Grayskull, Batman's fortress, the Death Star, etc.
Flack
Site Admin

Postby lethargic » May 24th, 2016, 9:21 pm

My stars and garters! That is ridiculous. That is one of those toys that you only ever see in one of those goofy 80s comedies where a kid gets a bunch of money and spends it all on crazy crap.

I had the old Batcave and Voltron Castle. But my biggest and favorite thing ever was this bad boy:

This thing was so tall it had an elevator for your Nazi army men to use!!!
lethargic

Postby Flack » May 24th, 2016, 9:30 pm

I don't have a picture of it, but they have one of those G.I. Joe aircraft carriers at the 1984 Arcade in Springfield, Missouri.

The cheapest one on eBay right now BIN is $1k. The most expensive one is $2,799.I found several that sold for $800-$1,000.
Flack
Site Admin

Postby lethargic » May 24th, 2016, 11:54 pm

OMG That Navarone playset is selling for 700 on ebay!!!! WHY DID I EVER GET RID OF THAT!!!!!
lethargic

Postby AArdvark » May 25th, 2016, 7:33 pm

Man, I used to love that Navarone playset! My friend had one when I was little. We used to set up both sides and take turns throwing jellybeans at each other's army guys.

THE
IF THE PENTAGON COULD ONLY
WORK LIKE THAT
AARDVARK
AArdvark

Postby lethargic » May 25th, 2016, 8:53 pm

Mine was kept at my Grandma's house. Whenever I stayed with her that's all i did was play with that thing while she sat around and watched it like it was the Navarone movie.

I didn't think of the jelly beans. I would set up all the army men. Then I'd start with the Nazis and study where he was aiming. Then I'd use my finger to draw an imaginary line from his gun to wherever it looked like it hit. If it hit one of the other soldiers, I knocked him out. Then I'd do the American side. Then I'd rearrange everybody and do it again. Over and over until one side won was completely dead. It. Took. HOURS. Plus sometimes I took photos of each round to preserve the war history for future generations.
lethargic

Postby Flack » May 26th, 2016, 1:23 pm

My grandma had no toys. She had a Viewmaster with a couple of reels she had picked up at garage sales. One of of Yellowstone and the other was of the Grand Canyon. She also had a bunch of family magnets that we got to play with on the fridge.
Flack
Site Admin

Postby lethargic » May 29th, 2016, 2:24 pm

I had Batman for my viewmaster. Derrrrrrr.
lethargic

Postby AArdvark » May 29th, 2016, 7:17 pm

I just got a viewmaster VR for my birthday. details to follow..
AArdvark

Postby Flack » June 1st, 2016, 7:14 am

Did your friends have any toys that you were jealous of?

I had more toys than any other kid in my neighborhood so there wasn't a lot of time to be jealous, but my neighbors across the street had an Evel Knievel stunt cycle (the one that you wound up with the launcher) that we loved to build ramps for and play with. I never had one of those myself. The same neighbor gone one of those giant styrofoam SSG (Super Sonic Glider) planes. I never had one of those either but it seemed like every time he threw it, it shattered into half a dozen pieces when it hit the ground.
Flack
Site Admin

Postby lethargic » July 4th, 2016, 5:38 pm

Flack wrote:Did your friends have any toys that you were jealous of?

Not after I stole them.
lethargic

Return to [PUBLIC] Toys and Collecting