Topps Digital Star Wars Trading Cards

Are you a toy collector? Are you a game collector? Are you a computer collector? Are you a dirty, dirty hoarder? Whatever, this is the place to talk about collecting and show off your collections.

Topps Digital Star Wars Trading Cards

Postby Flack » May 28th, 2015, 9:16 am

I posted this over on ICJ's forum but I'm sharing it here too with an updated response.

Every now and then something comes along and kicks me in the balls, reminding me that I am an old man and that the world is passing me by. Topps new line of Digital Star Wars cards is just that thing.

If you liked Star Wars as a kid you probably remember the original line of Topps Star Wars cards. There were yellow cards and green cards and orange cards and red cards. Some of them had scenes from the movies on them and some of them had a single character. Most of them had facts about the films on the backside, while others had portions of a puzzle that could be arranged to make a large picture. If you were lucky you found a sticker inside, and if you luckier you didn't eat the horrible stick of gum that was included in the pack.

Even if you weren't a big fan of Star Wars I'm sure you remember those old cards. I wasn't a sports kid and never owned a single baseball card in my life, but I had hundreds of Star Wars cards. I collected them and sorted them and traded my duplicate cards with my friends for their duplicate cards. I had a hundred of them in an old bread sack that I used to pull out and thumb through on a regular basis.

Well, GOOD NEWS if you have no soul! Topps recently released their new Star Wars Card app for iOS! Here's how it works!

The app of course is free and comes with 25,000 "credits," enough to buy a couple of low end packs of cards. The packs consist of old cards and new cards. The old cards are digital scans of the old Star Wars cards we had as kids and the new cards are slowly being released of the new TV licenses. There are cards now for the TV show Rebels, and there will be cards for the new movie before it arrives in theaters.

Some of the packs are free. Some of the more rare cards are in the silver and gold packs. If you hope to find those it'll cost you 99 cents a day for those packs. You can buy packs of credits anywhere from 99 cents to $99 at a time.

Here's a link to the new eBay category for Topps' digital Star Wars cards where people are buying and selling these cards. Most of the cards sell for a couple of bucks, although there are a few in the $30-$40 range.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Star-Wars-/8461 ... rand=Topps

Again remember these are not cards. They are pictures of cards. People are paying $40 (and up) for pictures of trading cards.

The app does allow for trading, so you can still trade cards with your friends if they have duplicates. That's right. It's possible you'll spend a buck or two on some pictures of cards and end up getting the same pictures of cards you already have pictures of.

There are new cards and packs being released multiple times a day, meaning by now you would need to spend thousands of dollars to collect all the little digital pictures.

All hope is lost.
Flack
Site Admin

Re: Topps Digital Star Wars Trading Cards

Postby Flack » May 28th, 2015, 9:20 am

Update: I'm in the middle of the woods with limited internet access and limited things to do.

You get 25,000 credits a day. Each day you get a free pack and then there's a 1,000 pack, a bunch of 3,000 packs, a bunch of 5,000 packs, and one 30,000 pack. Each pack consists of different colors of cards. So far I've seen red, white, blue, green, yellow, silver, and gold. You can get the same card in different colors. The gold ones are only in the 30,000 packs which you can never get with the free credits (they don't carry over, I don't think).

I have used all 25,000 of my free credits already today (and I used them all yesterday, too).

If anyone would like to sign up my name is Commodork on the app. Please sign up because I need a silver Han Solo and a blue Luke Skywalker.

Kill me.
Flack
Site Admin

Postby Kid Ice » May 28th, 2015, 9:14 pm

Flack wrote:There were yellow cards and green cards and orange cards and red cards.

And those sweet, sweet blue cards.

I actually owned the error card with C3PO's metal schlong. As a kid I could not figure it out.
Kid Ice

Postby Flack » May 28th, 2015, 9:26 pm

If you thought Kenner was bad with making figures of characters who barely appeared in the films, some of the cards I got today were for Chief Bast, General Tagge, Moff Jerjerrod (I got two of him, actually), Evan Piell, Luminara Unduli, Cad Bane, Toryn Farr, Zev Senesca, San Hill, and of course, Poggle the Lesser.
Flack
Site Admin

Postby Ice Cream Jonsey » May 29th, 2015, 10:33 pm

Poggle the Greater?
Ice Cream Jonsey

Postby Flack » May 30th, 2015, 6:16 am

That's his brother, no doubt. And what a condescending name! It's bad enough the dude's name is Poggle.

"Poggle, you can't do ANYTHING. You're so... LESSER, gah!"
Flack
Site Admin

Postby Flack » July 26th, 2016, 7:11 am

I was going through my phone last night and was about to delete this app when I decided to Google it and see if anyone was still playing it. It turns out because my cards are so old, lots of them are worth $1-$3 on eBay. I am not the guy who would list 200-300 digital cards one at a time on eBay, but now I feel like Poggle the RICHER!
Flack
Site Admin

Postby Felix » July 28th, 2016, 9:40 pm

But think of all the other Star Wars things you could buy with that money!
Felix

Return to [PUBLIC] Toys and Collecting