Star Wars 6" Figure Line

Are you a toy collector? Are you a game collector? Are you a computer collector? Are you a dirty, dirty hoarder? Whatever, this is the place to talk about collecting and show off your collections.

Re: Star Wars 6" Figure Line

Postby Flack » January 27th, 2014, 2:59 pm

The most recent one I looked at, the one that was just under $999, did either 4 or 6 colors. I don't think it mixes them together like an ink jet printer or anything, but kind of like those old plastic toy cars where the top half might be red and the bottom half might be blue or something.
Flack
Site Admin

Postby lethargic » January 27th, 2014, 10:10 pm

lethargic

Postby Ice Cream Jonsey » January 29th, 2014, 1:23 am

Well, I got the Han Solo. It showed up in about one day. Thanks, Amazon! I had to go home to get him. When I did, I saw that snow had covered my house, so this saved me getting a notice from the town in the place I don't live any more.

It's great, but I can see how the temptation to get more of them can creep up on you. Dude need someone to shoot in the chest whilst still peacefully negotiating. (Is there Sucking Chest Wound Greedo?) (Did he get shot in the chest? I feel there's 15 people on this forum that know the answer to that and I am not one of them.)
Ice Cream Jonsey

Postby Flack » January 29th, 2014, 2:23 pm

Yeah. He got shut under the table so... stomach, gut, chest, that general area.

Is Han Solo your favorite character? Why did you settle on him?
Flack
Site Admin

Postby Ice Cream Jonsey » January 29th, 2014, 5:56 pm

Well, my favorite character is slave Leia, but I didn't think that would fly around here. I guess the thing is, I want to vote with my dollars and encourage decent toy making. Frigging dude looks a lot like Harrison Ford! The detail in the blaster and holster is also amazing. He also serves as a reminder of how I could dress every day if I lost some weight, you know? I think leather pants could very well be in all of our future.

But yeah, it is a good line and I am glad that someone is making high quality dudes. Lethargic's point about kids not being able to afford them is well-taken, but they have a lot better toys than we did growing up!
Ice Cream Jonsey

Postby lethargic » January 29th, 2014, 10:20 pm

If you want to vote with your dollars and encourage decent toy making you should get one of these...

http://www.sideshowtoy.com/collectibles ... es-400060/
lethargic

Postby lethargic » February 10th, 2014, 2:39 pm

3D Printers can now play air hockey. These things are going to become aware! We are doomed!

lethargic

Postby Flack » March 1st, 2014, 2:09 am

Wave 3 is coming out and it doesn't look nearly as exciting to me.

For starters there are only 3 figures instead of 4. That's dumb. Who wants to collect 11 of something?

The figures in this wave are Bespin Luke, a Stormtrooper, and young Obi Wan from the prequels.

The Bespin Luke looks good, but the problem is they're only releasing 11 figures total, and we already have X-Wing Luke. We don't need two Lukes. That's a stupidly high ratio of Lukes.

Second up is the Stormtrooper. Of course we need a Stormtrooper but in Wave 1 we had a Sandtrooper which is a Stormtrooper with an orange thing on his shoulder. So now out of 11 figures we have two Lukes and essentially two Stormtroopers.

Then there's prequel Obi Wan. Here's a news flash. Nobody collecting Star Wars toys and figures today gives two flips about the prequels. Sorry.

This whole line is weird. Instead of young Obi Wan, they could have released C-3P0 (to go with the R2 they released) or Chewbacca (to go with the Han Solo they released). Or Yoda or Lando or anybody. Or hey maybe Darth Vader? Gah.

Disregard Han in this picture -- he's from Wave 2.
Flack
Site Admin

Postby Earl Green » March 6th, 2014, 1:19 am

Ahhh, welcome to the nuttiness that's been driving what we get in the Doctor Who toy line. It goes like this:

1. Getting actors to sign off on new likenesses can be really hard
2. If we get actor X to sign off on this head sculpt, we are going to use the f@$% out of it and just keep throwing it on new bodies
3. Get ready for Medal Ceremony Luke, Tatooine Luke, Tatooine Luke with a Stormtrooper Belt, ROTJ Luke, etc.

The classic series Who stuff comes in box sets now, usually of three figures. One or two of those characters will reappear over three box sets, in slightly different costumes, to amortize the cost of getting the actor (or his estate) to sign off on the license, and then having the sculpt and tooling done from that likeness. This is why I have at least half a dozen Tom Bakers on my shelf. (Thing is, of course, I actually like most of the costume variations, so there they stay. I'm hooked. I fell for the okeydoke.)

Wanna know who figured out the runaround for this? Whoever did the Tron Legacy figures. Think about it: aside from Flynn Sr. and Flynn Jr., the rest of the figures had their helmet faceplates down. No likeness approval needed from nitpicky actors! Just a studio thumbs-up to ensure that the outfits were correct.

Get ready for more stuff along these lines. If getting likenesses, licenses and permissions to do freakin' Doctor Who toys is as crazy as it is, I'd probably have a stroke looking at the paperwork involved in getting a single new Star Wars figure made.
Earl Green

Postby Flack » November 9th, 2014, 11:19 pm

Flack wrote:They "say" that there will only be 8 figures total in this line but if nerds line up to buy $20 figures then I am sure they will be making 900 of them.

I just bought figures 9-12 today along with two $40 deluxe figures (Jabba the Hutt and a Biker Scout on a Speeder Bike). And there are more I don't have.

This is bullshit.
Flack
Site Admin

Postby Flack » November 28th, 2014, 12:46 pm

At this point I'm missing three figures/playsets. Two of them were limited edition releases at San Diego Comic Cons 2013 and 2014. One is Boba Fett (which I have), but it comes with Han Solo in carbonite. The other is Jabba the Hutt (which I have), but it comes with accessories and Salacious Crumb. Jabba sells for $65 and Fett/Han sell for $100 (or more) on Amazon and eBay. The new playset that's been released is Han and Greedo in the cantina. I have Han and Greedo. This set sells for $50ish I think.

I don't mind "collecting them all" because I am sick in the head and have issues. Fine, I get that, exploit my sickness. But why force me to buy the exact same figures a second time? It's bad enough that I already own a Stormtrooper and two Sandtroopers. At least I can display and army of Stormtroopers. Who wants an army of goddamn Greedos?
Flack
Site Admin

Postby Ice Cream Jonsey » November 28th, 2014, 1:05 pm

I'll split a Han/Greedo with you and take the Greedo, Flack. I have zero Greedos. (Are they the same exact Greedo? I get how it might bug you juuuuuuuuuuuuust enough if they are different and therefore want to keep them both, like if one of the Greedos has a sucking chest wound.)
Ice Cream Jonsey

Postby Flack » November 28th, 2014, 4:43 pm

I'll have to check. The big difference is the Han/Greedo playset comes with the TABLE and CHAIRS that they sat at/on. GOD. Think how INCOMPLETE my life would be without a plastic TABLE!! /sigh.

I read an article comparing the two Boba Fetts (the SDCC limited edition and the stand-alone one) and it starts with "if you get a magnifying glass, and in the right lighting..." Sheesh.
Flack
Site Admin

Postby Felix » November 28th, 2014, 11:29 pm

This is why I never pulled the trigger on buying any. I knew I would end up having the have ALL of them. It can be quite the process.
Felix

Postby Flack » December 21st, 2014, 7:59 pm

I don't think I mentioned it but Target has an exclusive Shadow Trooper pack as well. It includes a Stormtrooper, a Biker Scout, and a speeder bike that are all black. They're identical sculpts to the other figures except they're completely black. It's not like you get a custom design or something. These are figures you could have made yourself with a can of black spray paint.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.
Flack
Site Admin

Postby obliterator918 » December 22nd, 2014, 3:41 pm

Flack wrote:I don't think I mentioned it but Target has an exclusive Shadow Trooper pack as well. It includes a Stormtrooper, a Biker Scout, and a speeder bike that are all black. They're identical sculpts to the other figures except they're completely black. It's not like you get a custom design or something. These are figures you could have made yourself with a can of black spray paint.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

I don't collect toys but they do the same things with movie releases now-- it's nigh impossible to be a completest because each retail outlet has its own edition with different features. Best Buy has one extra and Target has another and Amazon has neither...
obliterator918

Postby Felix » September 4th, 2015, 11:04 pm

I wasn't sure if I should start a new thread or tack onto this one. Did anybody pick up any new star wars toys on Force Friday?
Felix

Postby lethargic » September 4th, 2015, 11:27 pm

I've been trying to find this Tracy Morgan one.

lethargic

Postby Felix » September 5th, 2015, 1:55 am

Since getting all that money from Wal-mart, he thought he'd spend some of it on his own figure.
Felix

Postby lethargic » September 5th, 2015, 1:37 pm

How the hell does this thing's head stay on and move on it's own? It's really freaking me out.

Is it magnets? Or magic?
lethargic

Postby lethargic » October 9th, 2016, 10:36 pm

I love this new Rogue One Vader.

"Slow it down there, Kylo, grandpa's gotta keep his britches up!"
lethargic

Postby Flack » February 26th, 2017, 12:49 am

Flack wrote:This month Hasbro is launching a new 6" line of action figures. The figures will be sold for $20 each. I believe 4 figures (Luke Skywalker in X-Wing Pilot Suit, Darth Maul, R2-D2 and Sandtrooper) will be released this month and another 4 will be released by the end of the year. They "say" that there will only be 8 figures total in this line but if nerds line up to buy $20 figures then I am sure they will be making 900 of them.

Boy, we Star Wars collectors will believe anything.

According to Amazon, the next wave of 6" black figures will be released in April. In my original post I quoted Hasbro as saying there were only going to be 8 figures. I currently have around 24 of them ($20 each, do the math). For the 40th anniversary of Star Wars we're finally getting a vintage Leia and Obi Wan, along with some other characters. I really have no interest in buying Constable Zuvio, Ahsoka Tano, Poe Dameron, Guavian Enforcer, or any of these other figures they're cranking out.
Flack
Site Admin

Previous

Return to [PUBLIC] Toys and Collecting