YDKF Episode 152: Star Wars Video Games

RSS feed links to blog posts, podcasts, and more. This is the only forum visible to non-registered guests. Includes posts from RobOHara.com, Podcast.RobOHara.com, and BigRobsVan.com.
m00npie

YDKF Episode 152: Star Wars Video Games

Post by m00npie »

Title: YDKF Episode 152: Star Wars Video Games
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2014 23:01:14 +0000
Link: http://podcast.robohara.com/?p=468

Description: In this episode I talk a bit about my visit to Rancho Obi-Wan before jumping in with lasers blazing and talking about as many Star Wars video games, computer games, arcade games and pinball games as a guy can in 75 minutes. I don’t cover ‘em all, but it turns out there are hundreds of […]
Flack
Site Admin

Re: YDKF Episode 152: Star Wars Video Games

Post by Flack »

The first two comments I got regarding this episode were, "you forgot [this] game!" I knew trying to run through all the Star Wars games was too much for the scope of one show but I tried it anyway. As mentioned in the podcast, MobyGames lists 215 unique Star Wars games and many/most of those are available for multiple systems.
Flack
www.robohara.com | www.facebook.com/robohara | www.twitter.com/Commodork
ladyjaye

Post by ladyjaye »

Actually, the only small qualm I have is that Knights of the Old Republic (KOTOR) is NOT a MMORPG. It's an RPG by Bioware (and the sequel was developed by Obsidian). Both KOTOR and KOTOR 2 were released on PC, Mac, and Xbox (compatible Xbox 360). Just be aware that the PC version of KOTOR doesn't accept controllers. If you played and liked Mass Effect, you have (kinda) an idea of how the game is -- it's typical Bioware fare. :)

And it's not the same thing as Star Wars: The Old Republic (TOR), which was also developed by Bioware and IS actually a MMORPG.

Aside from that, great episode! And I agree that Star Wars: Jedi Arena is a mediocre Atari 2600 game. Had it as a kid, and had to figure out how to play it. Good thing I owned a Coleco Gemini, which had integrated paddles on the joystick!
Last edited by ladyjaye on July 9th, 2014, 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Felix

Post by Felix »

I liked this episode. I enjoy that you drop in sounds from the different games.
Flack
Site Admin

Post by Flack »

Thanks Felix. To do those I use this website that allows you to download Youtube videos into mp3 files. Usually I end up with a 10 minute mp3 that I only need 10 seconds of, but whatever. It's quick and it works.

Those types of shows (the ones with tons of facts in them) suck for a few reasons, mostly because they take a lot more preparation time before recording, and no matter how matter how much prep work I do I always seem to get a fact or two wrong. Lady Jaye is one of half a dozen people who pointed out that KOTOR is an RPG but not an MMORPG. Apparently that's pretty important.
Flack
www.robohara.com | www.facebook.com/robohara | www.twitter.com/Commodork
obliterator918

Post by obliterator918 »

Flack wrote:Lady Jaye is one of half a dozen people who pointed out that KOTOR is an RPG but not an MMORPG. Apparently that's pretty important.

Also, it's probably the best xbox game I ever played. I played it through twice. I have no idea if it holds up today, but you should give it a try.
ladyjaye

Post by ladyjaye »

Well, it does matter that KOTOR is an RPG but not a MMORPG because it's a 1-player game and it's offline. So it's still playable today on PC or Xbox/Xbox 360, whereas Star Wars: The Old Republic may very well not be accessible 5 or 10 years from now.
KHoos

Post by KHoos »

Really enjoyed this episode. I know almost nothing about Star Wars but I enjoyed it anyway. The video game sounds were also a great timeline of audio quality in games and it made the episode very enjoyable to listen to. The load of work you did produced one great episode of YDKF!
Koos van den Hout, [url]http://idefix.net/[/url]