YDKF Episode 148: Modchips

RSS feed links to blog posts, podcasts, and more. This is the only forum visible to non-registered guests. Includes posts from RobOHara.com, Podcast.RobOHara.com, and BigRobsVan.com.
m00npie

YDKF Episode 148: Modchips

Post by m00npie »

Title: YDKF Episode 148: Modchips
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2014 23:49:18 +0000
Link: http://podcast.robohara.com/?p=426

Description: Welcome back, my friends, to the show that never ends. After a slight delay, You Don’t Know Flack is back with an episode all about modchips, those devious little devices that allow you to do naughty things with your videogame consoles. In this episode I talk about the history of modchips, from the original Sony […]
ladyjaye

Re: YDKF Episode 148: Modchips

Post by ladyjaye »

Great episode! Listening to it right now.

I'm surprised to hear that there was a Future Shop in Spokane, WA. Then I shouldn't be, since their head office is in Vancouver BC; btw, the comparison to Best Buy is more than adequate, since Best Buy did buy them out several years ago. It's not even unheard of to see a Best Buy next door to a Future Shop (don't know what's the commercial logic in it though!).

Never really went the modchip route, although I was really tempted to do so with the PS2 -- as a huge Wonder Boy fan, I seriously considered getting the Sega Ages compilation that came out in Japan only, but then the Wonder Boy games did come out virtually on the Xbox 360 and the PS3, and I also bought my best friend's Sega Master System and Genesis (including all her Wonder Boy games).

We did however use the memory card trick to mod an original Xbox for emulation's sake. However, we no longer have that Xbox and to be frank, we since added several consoles to our gaming room, including a Dreamcast. In fact, my main reason for modding would be for emulation and for importing games, but in the meantime, I focus on the Famicom and Super Famicom (we own a few Fami-to-NES adaptors, and did the tab-breaking tip on the SNES Game Genie), as well as region-free consoles (ie. pre-3DS Nintendo handhelds, PSP, and Vita).
Flack
Site Admin

Post by Flack »

I think PDF will back me up here, but the most bang-for-the-buck is Wii modding. You can do the soft mod for free, and for that you can (a) add emulators, (b) play DVDs, (c) play GameCube backups and imports, (d) play Wii backups and imports, and (e) play GameCube and Wii ISO images from an external hard drive.

The original Xbox was a close runner up, as a mod chip and Xecuter turned the thing into a veritable emulation/home entertainment box.
Flack
www.robohara.com | www.facebook.com/robohara | www.twitter.com/Commodork
AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

I had one of those installed in my Xbox. I could never get the networking to go. It's because I'm not that savvy about things like DHCP and XMB and mac addresses. Then the PS3 came out and the 'box went and hid in my attic with the squirrels.

THE
WAITING TO BECOME RETRO
AARDVARK