The Dark Crystal with Doug McCoy

RSS feed links to blog posts, podcasts, and more. This is the only forum visible to non-registered guests. Includes posts from RobOHara.com, Podcast.RobOHara.com, and BigRobsVan.com.
m00npie

The Dark Crystal with Doug McCoy

Post by m00npie »

Title: The Dark Crystal with Doug McCoy
Date: Sat, 07 Dec 2013 19:14:11 +0000
Link: http://throwbackreviews.com/?p=352&utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=352

Description: This week Sean & Rob are joined once again by #1 best selling author Doug McCoy to talk about the 1982 film the Dark Crystal. Doug’s website & McCoycast Doug’s latest book Playthings of the Past  Doug’s other books:  ANESthetized & Arcadian  The Dark Crystal (25th Anniversary Edition) Thanks as always to Pixel8 for the intro and closing […]
Flack
Site Admin

Re: The Dark Crystal with Doug McCoy

Post by Flack »

Wahoo, this one hit! This was a fun one to record. I have to admit, before re-watching this one I was a much bigger fan of Labyrinth, but I have to say this movie is okay too.
Flack
www.robohara.com | www.facebook.com/robohara | www.twitter.com/Commodork
fergojisan

Post by fergojisan »

I've never seen either movie as far as I remember, but I enjoyed the episode as usual.
Flack
Site Admin

Post by Flack »

Really? Both are great to watch. How old is your son? Not that it matters -- my kids enjoy both of them.
Flack
fergojisan

Post by fergojisan »

I HAVE NO SON

I think my wife has seen both, I'll have to ask her if she would want to watch them again. I can't watch movies by myself for some reason. TV shows, sometimes.
Flack
Site Admin

Post by Flack »

Haha I am a dope. Whenever you thank the two people at the end of your podcast I have always assumed it was your wife and your kid. Who are those people?

I DON'T KNOW WHO YOU ARE ANYMORE.

Personally I think Labyrinth is more fun and The Dark Crystal is more thought provoking. If you know me you know I'll take fun over thought provoking most days.
Flack
fergojisan

Post by fergojisan »

Yeah, thought-provoking can be a chore sometimes. Sarah is my wife and Curt is my brother in law (he's also a classic gaming collector). They are the only 2 people I told about the podcast when I first started thinking about it, and they would ask me constantly when I was going to get started.
Flack
Site Admin

Post by Flack »

Now that you said that I think I remember hearing that on the premiere episode of A2600GBGP. I'm a dummy.

If you ever have or adopt a child and it's a boy, please name it Curt. I already have that association made in my brain and I will never forget it. If it's a girl, I recommend Kira the Gelfling as a name.
Flack
ubikuberalles

Post by ubikuberalles »

So, are you guys recommending Dark Crystal and Labyrinth as a double feature? I don't think I've seen Labyrinth but if I did it's been a long time. Long time with Dark Crystal, anyway. I clearly remember watching that movie. "Holy Crap this is dark" is what I thought when I was in the theater (then they turned on he theater lights - /rimshot). I had no idea that Hensen was capable of producing something like that.
fergojisan

Post by fergojisan »

Flack wrote:Now that you said that I think I remember hearing that on the premiere episode of A2600GBGP. I'm a dummy.

If you ever have or adopt a child and it's a boy, please name it Curt. I already have that association made in my brain and I will never forget it. If it's a girl, I recommend Kira the Gelfling as a name.

Will do! :D
Flack
Site Admin

Post by Flack »

ubikuberalles wrote:So, are you guys recommending Dark Crystal and Labyrinth as a double feature? I don't think I've seen Labyrinth but if I did it's been a long time. Long time with Dark Crystal, anyway. I clearly remember watching that movie. "Holy Crap this is dark" is what I thought when I was in the theater (then they turned on he theater lights - /rimshot). I had no idea that Hensen was capable of producing something like that.

The Dark Crystal is kind of dark. When the crystal becomes split, the UrSkeks (sp?) are split into two races, the Uh-Rus/Mystics (which are completely good) and the Skexis (which are completely bad) -- yet they remain connected in some mysical way. When one Skexis is killed, a Mystic instantly disappears. There are some disturbing moments for kids in there as well. Probably Henson's darkest work that I can think of.

Labyrinth is less dark, although if you think about it, the whole plot revolves around the fact that Sara begs the Goblin King to come take away her little brother because he won't stop crying. There's a lot of back-stabbing and people almost get killed but it's a bit more enjoyable for kids.

I enjoy and appreciate both movies but if I had to pick one over the two it would be Labyrinth every time. Both films are available on Blu-ray, for what it's worth.
Flack