Episode 145: About Podcasting

RSS feed links to blog posts, podcasts, and more. This is the only forum visible to non-registered guests. Includes posts from RobOHara.com, Podcast.RobOHara.com, and BigRobsVan.com.
m00npie

Episode 145: About Podcasting

Post by m00npie »

Title: Episode 145: About Podcasting
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2013 04:15:06 +0000
Link: http://podcast.robohara.com/?p=408

Description: Throughout the years, several people have asked me how to get started podcasting. I’ve never sat down and wrote or recorded an answer to that question… until now. With audio submissions from several of my fellow podcasters, this episode is packed full of podcast-related hints, tips, suggestions, and most of all, encouragement! This star-studded episode […]
Flack
Site Admin

Re: Episode 145: About Podcasting

Post by Flack »

This episode got plugged by many of the people who appeared on it. As a result, my web server stayed at 100% cpu for a while until it crashed. I really have to offload the hosting of those files.
Flack
www.robohara.com | www.facebook.com/robohara | www.twitter.com/Commodork
AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Having beers and listening to this episode. Random thoughts....

Don't listen to those detractors! Making yourself crack up is GREAT! Think George Gobel.

vocal crutches are fine

going off topic is also fine
Flack
Site Admin

Post by Flack »

Thanks man, I appreciate it.

This episode got 1,200 downloads the first day. I just checked and it looks like we're at 1,800.
Flack
fergojisan

Post by fergojisan »

Well deserved for this great, great episode. Not only good for people new to podcasting, but also good for people who are already podcasting and still don't have much in the way of self-confidence. I am honored to have participated.
tcv

Post by tcv »

Great show. Loved it.
ubikuberalles

Post by ubikuberalles »

I listened to this podcast about a week ago and I enjoyed it.

Rob mentioned ferg doing a spoof of YDKF podcast during his Halloween show so last night I tracked down that podcast, downloaded it and listened to it. I liked what he did with the same sounds as YDKFand his own version of "loading time" (catchy tune). I got a laugh or two out of it. I also learned a lot about Wizard Video and the games they released (Halloween and Texas Chainsaw Massacre). I think all podcasts should use Rob's music. It makes it easier for me, since the vast majority of my podcast time is with Rob's podcast (isn't that sad?) and it would make for a smooth transition. ;)

Before I listened to ferg's Halloween show, however, I listened to a previous episode so I could get a baseline of what his shows were like. That episode was about Tennis and LaserBlast. The format is a little dry during the first half but I learned some cool stuff about LaserBlast. Lo and behold, during the last segment of the show I hear Rob's voice...am I dreaming? No! It IS Rob and he is giving a review of LaserBlast! Cool.

After listening to both shows, I powered up the Ouya, installed and ran the 2600.emu and played a game of LaserBlast. Damn that game is hard to play!
Flack
Site Admin

Post by Flack »

Yeah, the Halloween spoof Ferg did was one of the great honors I've had. Knowing someone enjoyed my show enough to "dress their show up" like mine made me smile for a week. Podcasting is by and large a one-way medium (I don't get near the amount of feedback I would like) and so to have someone do a tribute to you like that was really an honor.

Ferg's show is really awesome. Some episodes are more dry than others but once he quit reading from a script (something we all did when we started I think) and freewheeling it got a looser feel.

I am updating PiMAME right now so I can add Stella (the Atari 2600 emulator) to it.
Flack
ubikuberalles

Post by ubikuberalles »

Ferg's tribute and your appearance in his and other podcasts shows what a tight little community you've joined within the larger podcast society. No doubt there are thousands of podcasters out there and it's easy to become just a face in the crowd of podcasting. But you, ferg, the Retroist and others have formed your own little close community that stands out.
fergojisan

Post by fergojisan »

Thank you guys. Yes, my show can be dry at times, even now that I'm not using a script (the script shows are HORRIBLE to me now). I have a lot of minutiae in my shows and it's hard to make it all interesting to anyone but myself. :)

And I agree, Rob's music is awesome.
Flack
Site Admin

Post by Flack »

My early shows were all scripted and they sound terrible to me too now. The other problem with my old shows is that I've gone through three or four different mic setups and a couple of them were real bad. There are a few episodes that sound so terrible that I've considered re-recording them.

My music is all stolen from old Amiga games for the most part. Peachy from the Retroist made me a jingle one time I was going to use and I've since lost it. I'm so used to the one that I have that I'll probably never change it, except Paul from the Intellivisionaries made me one the other day and I'm going to use it for one episode.
Flack
ubikuberalles

Post by ubikuberalles »

I do have to clarify one technical flub you made in - I think - this pod cast. You were talking about the sample rate of your audio and how you had to lower it to make the file size smaller. You said (and I am paraphrasing here) that you were recording at "128...Hertz? I'm sure I got that wrong and I'm going to get comments on that." Well, here's the comment on that.

The correct term is kilobits per second. Also known as kbps. It looks like you are recording YDKF at 128kbps. I usually rip my CDs at 160 kbps (except for the Gold remastered edition of ELO's "Eldorado" - the best album ELO has done EVER, I don't care what Earl says - I recorded at 320kbps) so your rate isn't that bad, I looked at some of the MP3 songs I download from Amazon and it looks like they are recorded at 236 to 248kbps. Earl records his Kasatochi midi tunes at 320kbps. So your rate is about half of what Amazon does but it still sounds pretty good.

there. You've been nerded.
Flack
Site Admin

Post by Flack »

I've made a pact with myself never to mention kilohertz, megahertz, hertz, kilobits, ever again on any episode.
Flack