Sprite Castle Episode 018: Friday the 13th

RSS feed links to blog posts, podcasts, and more. This is the only forum visible to non-registered guests. Includes posts from RobOHara.com, Podcast.RobOHara.com, and BigRobsVan.com.
m00npie

Sprite Castle Episode 018: Friday the 13th

Post by m00npie »

Title: Sprite Castle Episode 018: Friday the 13th
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2013 21:48:12 +0000
Link: http://www.SpriteCastle.com/?p=166

Description: Sprite Castle Episode 018: Friday the 13th Released in 1985 by Domark. In this very special Halloween episode I will teach you the proper way to swing an ax. WWW: SpriteCastle.com Facebook: Facebook.com/SpriteCastle Youtube: Youtube.com/SpriteCastle E-Mail: SpriteCastle at gmail. Voice Mail: 405-486-YDKF Sprite Castle is a proud member of ThrowbackNetwork.net. Visit the Throwback Network for […]
Flack
Site Admin

Re: Sprite Castle Episode 018: Friday the 13th

Post by Flack »

This was my favorite episode to record so far. I really love the cheesy factor of this game.
Flack
www.robohara.com | www.facebook.com/robohara | www.twitter.com/Commodork
tcv

Post by tcv »

I've been meaning to tell you that I really like Sprite Castle's opening. I don't know how you came to it, but it seems inspired.
Flack
Site Admin

Post by Flack »

Thanks man. It honestly took about 15 minutes to make.

The song is a generic dubstep song I found. I also downloaded 8bit drum samples and laid them over the top of the song, giving it a rough retro feel.

I shot all the video with my flip cam, waving it wildly toward the C64 and hovering over the keyboard. There's a shot of some of my boxed games scrolling by during the part where the "sprite castle" goes floating by.

The original name "Sprite Castle" was a play on White Castle (thus the modified White Castle logo) so the part in the middle that no one can understand is a sample of the Beastie Boys where they way "we went to White Castle but we got thrown out" cut up ... so it's them saying "we went to" and then a computer voice saying "Sprite Castle". I should have subtitled that part because no one can understand it.

The final picture is from Dark Castle (another Sprite Castle).
Flack
tcv

Post by tcv »

I've never been to a White Castle, but I recognized that part of the logo. We didn't have 'em in New Orleans.
Flack
Site Admin

Post by Flack »

We don't have them in Oklahoma, either.

I grew up in Oklahoma but my dad's family all live in Chicago, so every year growing up we made the road trip to Chicago. Having White Castles in Chicago was always a special treat for us because we only had them once a year. The nearest White Castle to us was in St. Louis (which is roughly 7 hours north of OKC), so we would leave around 5am and then have White Castles for lunch on the way to Chicago. Later I found that there were also White Castles in Kansas City, MO, but those closed down so St. Louis has the closest ones again.

By the way, it's a tradition in our family that if any of us go to Chicago, it's your job to pick up a 10 pack of White Castles in St. Louis and deliver them back to people in Oklahoma. 7 hour old White Castles from St. Louis are still better than those frozen hockey pucks they sell at the grocery store.
Flack
tcv

Post by tcv »

I guess the closest restaurant we had was Krystal. They had the tiny burgers (which are now called "sliders" for some reason). But there were even very few of those... maybe one or two.

So anyone in your extended family is required to pick up a 10 pack in Chicago? Is this limited by Chicago's geographic limits? Are Chicago's "bedroom communities" okay? Just giving you a hard time.
Flack
Site Admin

Post by Flack »

My dad, sister, and I are the only ones in Oklahoma that go to Chicago. So if I go, I pick up a 10 pack for my dad. If my sister goes, she picks up a 10 pack for dad. My dad never goes by himself so sometimes if he rides with my sister or I, he'll pick up a 10 pack for whoever didn't go. My sister and I never buy White Castles for each other, and my dad never goes by himself. This is starting to sound like that logic puzzle where you have three people and only one canoe...

White Castles were always unofficially referred to as "sliders" because they slide right through ya. Now both Krystal's and White Castle refer to their burgers as sliders. I've seen the term used to refer to other small burgers as well. I'm not sure they all know where the term came from.
Flack
tcv

Post by tcv »

I don't remember seeing the term "slider" until a Cheesecake Factory in Belmont, MA sometime in the 2000s. Those, though, were pretty beefy burgers, though. The Krystal burgers were very small. You could easily eat 10, of course. I always thought they were pretty good. Can't speak to the quality of the nutrition but I'm sure Krystal cares very deeply about that. :P
Flack
Site Admin

Post by Flack »

I've driven "east" a few times and that's typically where I find Krystal's. I don't find them as good as White Castles but White Castles aren't particularly "good" in the first place so... I find them acceptable, I'll say that. When you're in the same town as a Krystal's and the nearest White Castle is 500 miles away, suddenly Krystal's get a lot better.
Flack