Sprite Castle Episode 015: Paradroid

RSS feed links to blog posts, podcasts, and more. This is the only forum visible to non-registered guests. Includes posts from RobOHara.com, Podcast.RobOHara.com, and BigRobsVan.com.
m00npie

Sprite Castle Episode 015: Paradroid

Post by m00npie »

Title: Sprite Castle Episode 015: Paradroid
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2013 17:22:13 +0000
Link: http://www.SpriteCastle.com/?p=154

Description: Sprite Castle Episode 015: Paradroid Released in 1985 by Hewson. In this episode I go from 001 to 999. WWW: SpriteCastle.com Facebook: Facebook.com/SpriteCastle Youtube: Youtube.com/SpriteCastle E-Mail: SpriteCastle at gmail. Voice Mail: 405-486-YDKF Sprite Castle is a proud member of ThrowbackNetwork.net. Visit the Throwback Network for more quality retro-themed podcasts! www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKivCbZt0sE
obliterator918

Re: Sprite Castle Episode 015: Paradroid

Post by obliterator918 »

Cool. I never did learn to play that game but always thought it looked so cool.
Flack
Site Admin

Post by Flack »

OH, you HAVE to try it! It's really fun. You'll definitely want a good joystick during the "logic battle" portion as you have to be pretty accurate when placing your little electric things. (I really should read the manual and find out exactly what all of those things are called.)

I tried Paradroid 90 on the Amiga and did not care for it at all. The graphics are of course much more advanced, but to the point where I thought they took away from the gameplay. The robots no longer displayed their numbers which made it much more difficult to know if you were attacking "up" or "down" in status, and the way the logic puzzles were done it was hard to tell who was winning at any given time. Stick with the C64 version, it's the best!
Flack
www.robohara.com | www.facebook.com/robohara | www.twitter.com/Commodork
tcv

Post by tcv »

Paradroid is sooo awesome. I am sure I got it pirated at the time but I honestly don't recall exactly how I came across it. Looking back, I think it was like a perfect game for someone like me. It had science fiction, puzzle elements, action, it was geeky and technical. I never really figured out how to play until much later. I think I believed that getting 999 was the way to win but, obviously, that's not true.

I did see it for sale one day in an Electronics Boutique. I think that was the first time I ever got the notion it was a real, honest for-sale game.
Flack
Site Admin

Post by Flack »

Like so many other games (thousands), it's one I downloaded and probably didn't fully understand at the time. I never saw Paradroid for sale in any store but if I had I would have loved to have owned an original. I checked eBay after recording this episode and there are a couple of copies there but they are both in cassette format. I don't know if they made a larger, floppy-disk sized box, but the artwork on the cassette is too small to make me want to buy it.

For what it's worth there are a few Paradroid shirts (with the "001" droid on the front) that look pretty awesome.
Flack
www.robohara.com | www.facebook.com/robohara | www.twitter.com/Commodork
tcv

Post by tcv »

I recall the box as unusual. Non standard.
Paradroyd

Post by Paradroyd »

A shirt with the same thing, but with 999 would be cool. Then again, I guess that to anyone that knows the game, that would translate to wearing a shirt that says, "Brilliant, but unstable.".
tcv

Post by tcv »

Paradroyd wrote:A shirt with the same thing, but with 999 would be cool. Then again, I guess that to anyone that knows the game, that would translate to wearing a shirt that says, "Brilliant, but unstable.".

And then the shirt would fall apart within a few hours of wearing it.