YDKF Episode 178: Y2K

RSS feed links to blog posts, podcasts, and more. This is the only forum visible to non-registered guests. Includes posts from RobOHara.com, Podcast.RobOHara.com, and BigRobsVan.com.
m00npie

YDKF Episode 178: Y2K

Post by m00npie »

Title: YDKF Episode 178: Y2K
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2016 02:00:41 +0000
Link: http://podcast.robohara.com/ydkf-episode-178-y2k/

Description: Support You Don’t Know Flack on Patreon.com/RobOHara On Episode 178 of You Don’t Know Flack I discuss Y2K — the hype and the reality, from someone who was actually there and was actively fixing computers. This episode includes some Y2K commercials, discussion of Y2K-specific magazines, and lots more, including information about the next apocalyptic event, […]
Felix

Re: YDKF Episode 178: Y2K

Post by Felix »

The Nimoy thing is crazy and hilarious.
Flack
Site Admin

Post by Flack »

I can't remember if I added the link or not, but here is a link to the entire video:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEhEQEG43RU[/media]

And here's a link to just the countdown part I included:

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91x7IctKRD0[/media]
Flack
www.robohara.com | www.facebook.com/robohara | www.twitter.com/Commodork
AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

It feels like that happened only a couple years ago but it's more like a decade and a half. I was never really worried, in fact I was kinda hoping something semi major would happen just to say I was there. I don't remember all the survivalist hype but I wasn't paying that much attention. I kinda figured that if anything went wrong i'd be fixed in a few days. My wife had to go to her bank (where she works) on midnight 2000 and make sure the ATM was functioning properly. I was more worried about regular night violence than any Y2K bug. The machine was fine, not spitting out currency into the parking lot or anything.
You mentioned another date bug that messed up the PS3 online play for a day and that reminded me of the Zune bug that froze up everyone's player for the same reason. So few people zunes that it wasn't a huge deal.

THE
24 HOUR BRICK
AARDVARK
Flack
Site Admin

Post by Flack »

I remember that. I don't remember what the exact issue was, but it was a code issue that had something to do with it being a leap year.
Flack
fergojisan

Post by fergojisan »

This episode reminded me that I went to the outside ATM at my bank one time and accidentally got into the menu system. I had no idea how I did that, but I was terrified that they would think that I was trying to steal money or something. I managed to exit out of the menu and drove away, then spent the next week waiting for the police to come. :)
Flack
Site Admin

Post by Flack »

Haha that's hilarious!

Our ATM at work uses a dial-up modem. After you swipe your card you can hear it dialing and there's a 10' phone cable running out the back of it that goes to the wall. I'm amazed nobody has ever cut the phone line just to be a jerk.
Flack
fergojisan

Post by fergojisan »

I've seen a few of those ATMs, they are hilarious. We've had jerk customers at my work shut off the main water valve and turn of the main electric switch, but to be fair, they were accessible to the customers in the first place. They aren't any more, thank goodness.
Flack
Site Admin

Post by Flack »

I wonder about that stuff all the time. There's a Starbucks that I go to occasionally where the drive-thru leads behind the building. The entire time you're in line you can see the master power switch, not just for Starbucks but for the entire strip mall. There's no lock on it or anything. You know if you pull that thing, it's going to be spectacular. Plus, the end of the handle is painted red, which makes it look like candy and makes me want to pull it even more. If I got my car really close to the building I think I could pull it without even having to get out of my car. One of these days I'm going to snap after spending $8 on a large coffee and a cake pop and you'll read about it in the news.
Flack
obliterator918

Post by obliterator918 »

Flack wrote:I wonder about that stuff all the time. There's a Starbucks that I go to occasionally where the drive-thru leads behind the building. The entire time you're in line you can see the master power switch, not just for Starbucks but for the entire strip mall. There's no lock on it or anything. You know if you pull that thing, it's going to be spectacular. Plus, the end of the handle is painted red, which makes it look like candy and makes me want to pull it even more. If I got my car really close to the building I think I could pull it without even having to get out of my car. One of these days I'm going to snap after spending $8 on a large coffee and a cake pop and you'll read about it in the news.

When I was a little punk, I did this.

In a college.

For the building that housed the newspaper computer room.

While everyone was writing stuff.

I got caught. My friend didn't. I totally snitched on him but I couldn't spell is Portuguese last name properly.
Flack
Site Admin

Post by Flack »

My father passed on a theory of his that if there is a system in place to prevent someone from doing something, it's because somebody already tried it. So when you see a fire alarm chained shut, it's because someone has already tried opening it. The city dump near my house has a sign that says "no live animals" next to it. I hate to think what kind of asshole prompted that addition.

Anyway, the Braum's near my house has a ladder that goes up to the roof and the bottom portion of the ladder has a gate around it and it makes me laugh every time because I hope before it had a gate around it some kid climbed up there and beat on the A/C unit until some manager had to come outside and coax him off the roof.
Flack
AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

There was that thing in Joe Versus the Volcano where he wants to turn the big drain valve wheel because the sign says not to do it. It's the whole forbidden fruit thing. Like the time my friends and I were walking down the street past a construction site and there were these really big propane tanks used to heat roofing tar. the sign said do not touch but we did. We opened one and let it blast clouds of really flammable gas all over the place then we walked away. That could have been bad. A few minutes later we heard fire trucks but there were no fireballs roiling up over the block. Lucky us.

THE
NO, STUPID US
AARDVARK
KHoos

Post by KHoos »

I remember the whole Y2K thing in computers, we had budget to set up physical computers to run ahead of time to check software. And everything in offices had to be switched off at the last working day of 1999 in case the electricity would fail and come back.

The 'best' Y2K thing I saw was the Sanyo Y2K compliant cutting board.

I seem to have missed most of the 'society might fall apart' side of the marketing campaigns. I guess nobody in Europe thought of marketing like this. Some of this sounds comparable to the current "prepper" movement.
Koos van den Hout, [url]http://idefix.net/[/url]