YDKF Episode 167: IBM PC

RSS feed links to blog posts, podcasts, and more. This is the only forum visible to non-registered guests. Includes posts from RobOHara.com, Podcast.RobOHara.com, and BigRobsVan.com.
m00npie

YDKF Episode 167: IBM PC

Post by m00npie »

Title: YDKF Episode 167: IBM PC
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 2015 00:00:51 +0000
Link: http://podcast.robohara.com/?p=608

Description: While the Commodore 64 will always be my favorite child, the IBM PC is certainly the hardest working. In this episode I talk about my history with IBM computers, from our first PCjr back in 1984 through the first 386 I purchased in 1994. I also talk about some of my favorite games from that […]
AArdvark

Re: YDKF Episode 167: IBM PC

Post by AArdvark »

What was the DOS version that, when you hit return on an empty line, would return with 'Yes, Master?'

I remember my mom's XT? had that version. I had never seen it before.

THE
SO MANY KINDS OF
AARDVARK
Flack
Site Admin

Post by Flack »

I've never heard of that before. I did a Google search and this guy had a similar thing:

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=442857

Because you could just customize the prompt, there's no telling if it was an official flavor or if someone just made the change along the way.
Flack
www.robohara.com | www.facebook.com/robohara | www.twitter.com/Commodork
AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

I saw it in the manual first, that's what made me do on the computer. The manual was written in a folksy way. Something about a file called Alice?, and Alice got loaded and then booted. (poor Alice) I dunno, it was a long time ago. It was like a layman's guide to DOS.
Flack
Site Admin

Post by Flack »

I know what you mean man. I have lots of little memory fragments -- flashes of things that I almost remember, like a that one game that I played on that one system at a friend's house that one time that I can almost remember...
Flack
AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

I've searched high and low for some kind of reference to that DOS version but it's just not out there. I can't believe nobody's ever seen it but me and one other guy.

THE
VACUUM
AARDVARK
Trixter

Post by Trixter »

Good episode, although I cringed when you talked about Adlib vs. Soundblaster. You got a ton of things wrong (dates, who was first, channels, etc.). Can't win them all, I guess :-) but the rest was great.
Flack
Site Admin

Post by Flack »

I'm known more for my entertainment value than my accuracy. I'll get a job as a stand up long before they let me edit anything on Wikipedia. :)
Flack