Sprite Castle 019: Shamus

RSS feed links to blog posts, podcasts, and more. This is the only forum visible to non-registered guests. Includes posts from RobOHara.com, Podcast.RobOHara.com, and BigRobsVan.com.
m00npie

Sprite Castle 019: Shamus

Post by m00npie »

Title: Sprite Castle 019: Shamus
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2015 21:45:27 +0000
Link: http://www.SpriteCastle.com/?p=365

Description: In this blink-and-you’ll-miss-it shooter, you’ll face more spiral drones, robo-droids, and snap jumpers than you can shake an ion-shiv at in your quest to defeat the Shadow in this week’s game, 1983’s SHAMUS by Synapse Software. If you would like to play along, you can find download links to emulators along with all the games […]
AArdvark

Re: Sprite Castle 019: Shamus

Post by AArdvark »

This game is almost as hard as Transformers...Grrrrrr!

THE
EVERYTHING KILLS
AARDVARK
Flack
Site Admin

Post by Flack »

Amen to that. I think in the earlier levels, your advantage comes from the ability to shoot diagonally. If you line up horizontally against a bunch of robots you'll have no chance -- even if you blast your way through, a few latent bullets will still take you out.
Flack
www.robohara.com | www.facebook.com/robohara | www.twitter.com/Commodork
fergojisan

Post by fergojisan »

I love when a Flack podcast shows up on my iTunes. <3
Flack
Site Admin

Post by Flack »

More than that, I love getting comments and feedback -- so thanks for that!

In a horrible timing coincidence, Player/Missile Podcast plugged Sprite Castle right as I was migrating the website from one host to another. As a result, I think a lot of people clicked on the link only to land on a "Hello World" blank site. The website is back up now -- well, 99% of it is, have to finish tweaking the theme again -- but man... bad coincidence. Hope I didn't miss out on an opportunity to gain a few new listeners!
Flack
AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Ok, even with my super duper jacked up Atari joystick I cant get anywhere with this. I know, a bad gamer blames his tools but WTF.

THE
GOIN' BACK TO PIRATES!
AARDVARK
Flack
Site Admin

Post by Flack »

It's hard for sure. The best technique I've figured out is entering each room, holding down the fire button and tapping the joystick multiple times in the direction I've entered. I can't imagine beating the game without using the maps. It's definitely tough.
Flack
AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

One other thing I was going to ask about this game. I got to thinking that the whole backstory was made up after the game was programmed. Maybe the programmer designed the game one way but the PR guy thought Space Detective would sell more copies or something and they changed the story without changing the mechanics. It's just the vibe I got after listening to the SC episode and then actually playing the game.

THE
GILDED OVER
AARDVARK