Sprite Castle 007: 4th and Inches

RSS feed links to blog posts, podcasts, and more. This is the only forum visible to non-registered guests. Includes posts from RobOHara.com, Podcast.RobOHara.com, and BigRobsVan.com.
m00npie

Sprite Castle 007: 4th and Inches

Post by m00npie »

Title: Sprite Castle 007: 4th and Inches
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2015 12:00:22 +0000
Link: http://www.SpriteCastle.com/?p=273

Description: Ready, set, HUT! On episode seven of Sprite Castle, I play Accolade’s 1986 classic football game 4th and Inches. Or as people in Europe call it, “American Football.” If you would like to play along, you can find download links to emulators along with all the games played so far on Sprite Castle by clicking […]
AArdvark

Re: Sprite Castle 007: 4th and Inches

Post by AArdvark »

Didin't think I'd care for this one because of the sports aspect but it's actually the best one yet!

Made me think about how all these rather simple phone games are becoming so popular and how easily stuff like that could be made on a C64. Why didn't things like Flappy Bird and Temple Run show up on the 8 bit scene decades ago? Maybe they did but were dismissed as 'too simple' by the users.
Flack
Site Admin

Post by Flack »

I have read that in the early days of computer games, there was a definite trend in giving players experiences that they could not get in arcades and on consoles. So while a lot of arcade games were designed to kill players in a minute or two (and get those quarters!), computer games went the other way and delivered games like Ultima and Bard's Tale, games that could be played for weeks or months. I suspect that's why we didn't see a lot of those twitch-style games back then. Just a theory.

BTW, Flappy Bird has been ported to the C64 (and the Apple II, and the Atari 2600) and there were rumors of a Temple Run port for the C64 although that seems to have fizzled out. Whatever the current gaming trends are, the Commodore can still deliver!

I'm glad you gave the show a listen even though it was sports themed. I added a bit more information about the company this time and a few more news segments. Still trying to find the perfect groove.
Flack
www.robohara.com | www.facebook.com/robohara | www.twitter.com/Commodork
darwinconan

Post by darwinconan »

I just listen to this episode and I like it. The commercial you found for this game was really good. I forgotten about the crazy names for the players. When this game came out it had a lot of hype. I bought it for 40 dollars and did not like it. The passing like you mention was bad but I remember that every game I played against the computer player, the computer player would always come back even if I had a big lead or if I was way behind the computer player would play terrible and I could make a comeback. Every game was so close and there were never any blow outs which I did not like at all. It seem so unrealistic.
Flack
Site Admin

Post by Flack »

AI has definitely come a long way since then. Computer opponents were notoriously bad back then, almost always either too easy or too hard. One thing that was so great about the Commodore 64 was that it had two joystick ports and used cheap joysticks!
Flack
www.robohara.com | www.facebook.com/robohara | www.twitter.com/Commodork